As an education major, I am passionate about the well-being of children. This is why I joined CAST club, and it evolved into two different clubs this year: Warrior Advocates for Children and Warriors For The Kids (WFTK). I am the co-founder and vice president of WFTK and have been involved in the production of WarriorThon since planning began in the fall of 2014.

WarriorThon has been at WSU since the spring of 2015, which was also my freshman year here. I’m happy to say that I’ve been involved since the start. I connected with the cause because my younger brother had a lot of medical issues since birth, and I wanted to be able to give back to hospitals who are doing their best to care for sick kids and their families.

WarriorThon is a dance marathon – a nationwide event where people are on their feet and caffeine-free for as long as the event is held. We all dance, play games, eat food, and hear about the stories of the heroes at Gundersen Health System’s Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals. One of our heroes this year is the daughter of a WSU professor, which really brings the cause close to home.

People should attend WarriorThon because it’s more than just a good time; it’s also a fundraiser. All the money we raise goes to Gundersen Health System, which is our local branch of Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals. We will have henna tattoos, a DJ, meals and snacks throughout, Hear and Now is performing, there’s also an ice cream eating contest and much more. For me, going to WarriorThon is a no-brainer: it’s a fun event for a great cause.

WarriorThon will begin at 2pm Saturday, Feb. 25 in East Hall, and if you register online before Saturday using the promo code HULAFTK, registration is only $5.

-Molly Noterman

The following two tabs change content below.

Guest Blogger

Guest writers are sometimes featured on the WSU Student Blogs. If you would like to contribute, please submit your post here: http://blogs.winona.edu/submit-a-post/