In college it can be especially hard to stay on a budget and be healthy at the same time. We all know how easy it is to pick up a cheap bag of chips instead of spending extra on veggies. A simple solution for us college kids living with no garden space whatsoever and not much extra cash to spend at the store is window plants. Not only are you able to save money by growing your own veggies, you will also be avoiding pesticides, saving energy and cutting down on pollution. Here are the top 10 easiest window plants to grow in your college apartment or house:
2) Radishes. Maybe this one isn’t as much of a fan favorite to eat but it can still be grown right at your house.
3) Leaf lettuce. This one takes up a little more space but think of all the salad you could make and you won’t have to go to the store for any of it.
4) Spinach. This can be added to so many meals like smoothies, sandwiches, salads, side dishes, etc. and you won’t have to even buy it packaged.
6) Chives. Another plant that is usually used for seasoning.
7) Basil. It’s not very expensive and it’s super easy to grow and maintain.
8) Parsley. This herb is easy to grow and although it’s not an herb us college students use often, it can come in handy for some recipes.
9) Sage. You never know when you might want to add some sage to a dish for extra flavor.
10) Mint leaves. It smells good and it has many health benefits such as curing nausea and headaches, so why not grow it if it’s cheap and easy?
So, instead of wasting time and money at the grocery store, go to a local plant shop or store that sells plants, seeds, soil, pots and window boxes and get to work on an easy indoor garden for your dorm or apartment! You’ll also be helping the environment, which should be incentive enough to discover your green thumb.