My freshman year I decided to audition for Dancescape because I knew I wasn’t ready to stop dancing. It turned out to be one of my best decisions so far in college. I met so many wonderful people and made great memories. For this year’s Dancescape 2017 show, which took place Feb. 16-18, I decided to do something a little bit different and not be a dancer in the show. I decided to be choreographer and be the publicity head for the production to get experience for my major.

My piece "Triumph," photographed by Taylor Nyman.

My piece “Triumph,” photographed by Taylor Nyman.

Being a choreographer for the show gave me a whole new perspective of what all goes into preparing for a show. Dances go through many revisions before putting it on the stage and the process isn’t simple. The cast had rehearsals September through February to perfect the individual dances. Each piece went through their own set of changes to take the work to the next level.

Choreographing can be a challenge and it one of the hardest things I’ve ever done but the experience is amazing. It was extremely rewarding to see my piece “Triumph” come alive on stage. One of my favorite things about choreographing is the ability to show a story through movement.

My piece is about how each person has their own story and struggles in their life. These struggles can be emotionally draining and difficult to deal with but it’s important to remember you won’t always be in these tough times. More often than not you will be okay and these things that can tear us down will just become a bump in the road.

Art is a powerful way to express your voice. I feel so thankful to get the chance to show my work through movement and be apart of the 27th annual Dancescape 2017 production. You can be apart of Dancescape, too, when the performance returns next year!

The following two tabs change content below.

Kassidy Jackson

Kassidy is Public Relations major and Dance minor graduating in 2019 from Rosemount, MN. Her hobbies include choreographing, Netflix and eating.