Markers & a handwritten note

No matter what your schedule is like this semester, the key is to stay focused!

And so, another semester begins! And even though our first semester “I-must-join-every-club-this-year” enthusiasm has faded, it doesn’t mean schedules are any lighter.

Some of us thrive in this sort of crazed environment, running from class to class, spending our days in the library, and being president of 3 different clubs, plus a part-time job or internship.

The rest of us…not so much. We know that we will be happy again in about 15 weeks when the semester, and year, is over and we get to relax a little (hopefully).

I think students also forget that it’s not about how many credits you’re taking, but about how much effort you put into those classes and how you personally handle challenges.

Some of my hardest semesters consisted of only 15 credits, compared to some students who take over 18 credits in a semester. But those semesters were difficult because of the content of the course and the demands and expectations of not only the professors, but of myself.

Whether you’re taking 12 or less credits or you’ve got 18 credits of easy classes, I encourage those of you with lighter course loads this semester to make yourselves busy by taking pride in your classwork and in your GPA.

I have a friend who recently pointed out the obvious to me.  I was complaining about a particular professor I didn’t like and how I felt like there wasn’t anything I could do because that’s how “the system” worked.  She replied, “It’s your money and your education.  You can shape it and make it what you want it to be.”

In other words, don’t waste time, effort or money. Get your education and actually learn in the process–no matter how many or few credits you are taking.

The following two tabs change content below.

Samantha Schwanke

Samantha graduated in 2014 with a BA in English and a Mass Communications minor. She is from Owatonna, MN and her hobbies include hanging out with family and friends, playing musical instruments (flute, piccolo, piano and accordion), watching movies, shaving her dog and stitching kitchen towels….you know, the normal stuff. ​

Latest posts by Samantha Schwanke (see all)