four fish in a small tank

Here are my first glow four fish! And you thought the title meant my human friends.

From the moment we all moved in, the Class of 2018 Facebook page has been inundated with posts about missing our furry friends. I’m sure that these emotional outpourings aren’t limited to the freshmen. Those brave dogs and cats that put up with our nonsense for years are probably sitting at home and content to be left alone, but also missing us terribly–just as we are missing them.

Personally, my pet, a guinea pig I had for four years, passed away a couple of weeks before I left. That gave me time to mourn (Yes, I know he was a guinea pig, but he was my first real pet) and get used to the idea that I wouldn’t see him when I woke up in the morning or when I arrived home from school. For others, kittens are being born and Scruffy has to go in for surgery. Yep, college without our beloved pets is going to be tough, but there are some alternatives to moping in the corner because you miss Mr. Cuddle-Kins’ adorable face.

a pet guinea pig

As you can see, it would have been extremely difficult to leave my guinea pig, Keenan, behind.

The rules for living in the dorms say the only pets allowed are fish. So go get a fish! That’s what I did my first day in the dorms (which for me, was Sunday before everyone else arrived on Monday. There are some perks to moving here from the East Coast 🙂 ). There may not be a huge pet store in town, but Wal-Mart has a nice selection of fish and tanks. Now you don’t have to be like me who spent $60 on fish and supplies. My tank, a one-gallon diamond-shaped bowl, was only $11. They don’t have bags of rocks smaller than 5lbs., but if you know someone who is also looking to get a fish you can share. The rest of the accessories you put in the tank is up to you–except the water. The water on campus is chlorinated and the fish won’t survive. You can pick up distilled water at Wal-Mart as well or go to any other store.

Also, there’s always Winston, the therapy dog. He is a 3-year-old Blue Heeler/Rat Terrier and as cute as can be. He’ll cheer you right up! Wednesdays with Winston, held from 4-5pm in the IWC every Wednesday, might be just the thing you need to pick up your spirits.

Then, of course, there’s Skype; the only way to talk to your pet from the comfort of your dorm.

But I mean, come on–fish are great! And even though you can’t play with them like a dog, cat or even a guinea pig, they have their own unique personalities and can fill the void in your heart that was once filled with taking care of that special little friend back home.

The following two tabs change content below.

Rachel Adam

Rachel graduated in 2019 with a BA in Graphic Design and Dance minor. She is from Danbury, CT and her hobbies include reading, dance, art, movies, superheroes, Pinterest, and her kitten named Westley.

Latest posts by Rachel Adam (see all)