I know that a lot of people consider registration week to be the most stressful week of the semester. You might worry and wonder; do I have everything I need? Should I really be taking this class? Oh no, do I have to go talk to my advisor? Fear not, because I’m going to address every registration week anxiety you may have, whether you’re a first-year student or a seasoned senior.

What do I need for registration?

First of all, you need an access code. You get your access code by meeting with your advisor, which is not as hard or scary as it sounds.

I remember my first advising appointment was a near-disaster: my advisor didn’t show up for a half an hour, and then it turned out that I hadn’t signed up for the appointment at all! But she still took the time to sit down with me and help me figure out my next steps. She even helped me change my major that morning!

Most advisors will send out some sort of email reminding you to set up an appointment with them. Although, some advisors might encourage your newfound adult independence by letting you contact them first. Either way, your advisor is there to help you! Think of them as just another person in your field who shares the same passions as you, but with slightly more knowledge.

If you have any further questions about advising or need further support, be sure to check out Advising Services.

How do I know which classes to take?

The easiest way to figure out which classes to take is by looking at your Degree Audit Report, or DARS. By looking at your DARS, you can see every class you’ve ever taken, as well as all classes you will need to take for both your general credits and degree credits.

To access your DARS, go onto your e-services account and log in with your StarID and password. From there, go to Grades and Transcripts and click on Degree Audit Report.

Also, most departments and majors give you a “major map” to help you map out your classes at WSU. You can use this sheet to decide which semesters to take classes and to keep track of what you haven’t taken yet.

The other way to know which classes you need is to simply talk to your advisor! They have access to information that you may not, such as which classes are offered when, and if you should take classes now or later.

What if I can’t get into the classes I need?

Unfortunately, you won’t always be able to get into the classes you need or want, especially if you are a first-year or sophomore student. But, never fear! There are many different classes offered to fulfill each general education goal, and many more semesters to get into the classes you need.

If you really can’t get into a class you absolutely have to have this semester, then go talk to your (I think you know where I’m going with this) advisor! They can help you blue card into a class, or even help you figure out a different class to take.

While registration week can be stressful, I choose to look at it as a week of new opportunity. Each semester brings you closer to your future, and every class and professor will give you valuable life skills. Even the dreaded 8 a.m. class has taught me to be a morning person -well, almost. Let’s face it, that’s an adult skill that few of us have mastered!

When in doubt, Records and Registration Services is here to help you. Happy registration week!

The following two tabs change content below.

Emma Cavanaugh

Emma is majoring in English Writing, and minoring in Theatre, as well as English Literature and Language. Though she hails from Lake City, MN, the birthplace of waterskiing, Emma has actually never been waterskiing. She's always excited to try new things though and is interested in health and wellness topics.

Latest posts by Emma Cavanaugh (see all)