We get it: you’re not always in the mood to eat on campus, and you just can’t beat the experience of eating out. So if you’re looking to spice things up with where you dine, look no further than the many restaurants in Winona.

Now behold my list of recommended food options. I have personally eaten at every food joint on this list and I wouldn’t lie to you. They’re good!

Photo by Kelsa Katzfey ’21

A Taste of Campus

If you don’t want to stray far from campus, we have plenty of yummy options right here.

• Zane’s Food Court

Pizza and Sushi Do and Panda Express, oh my!  Just be sure to check the hours of where you want to eat because not everything is open on the weekends.

• Cafeterias

I remember I used to love brunch on the weekends when I lived on campus. Use your Warrior ID to swipe in your parents or pay $8.43 + tax each to get all-you-can-eat brunch at either the Jack Kane Dining Center on Main Campus or the Lourdes Cafeteria on West Campus!

• Caribou Coffee

The two Caribou locations on campus (first floor of the Darrell Krueger Library and Somsen Hall) have coffee and food options. I prefer the Caribou in the library because…bagels…duh.

For a more in-depth guide to our on-campus chow options, check out this helpful guide!

Photo by Kelsa Katzfey ’21

Something Fancy

Looking for something upscale that won’t break your bank? Your parents will be paying, right? Treat yo’ self!

• Signatures Restaurant 

Signatures is located on a stunning golf course, and it offers both fine dining and a more casual setting at “The Grill.” Seriously, if you don’t have time to eat here when your family visits this time, you should make it a priority for their next visit.

• Boathouse Winona 

One look at the menu will be enough to make you drool. The Boathouse has a beautiful view of the Mississippi River, especially during sunset. Added bonus: they make their dessert in-house daily!

Photo by Kelsa Katzfey ’21

Photo by Kelsa Katzfey ’21

Café Vibes

Not only can you get amazing coffee at these shops, but also they each offer a unique experience and some tasty food options.

• Acoustic Café

I dig the vibe and I love the menu. Acoustic Café is a perfect snapshot of our artsy little town of Winona.

• Blooming Grounds 

Sit and stay or on the go? We have not one, but TWO Blooming Grounds in Winona: Blooming Grounds and Blooming Grounds Express. Blooming Grounds offers numerous pastry options, as well as some heartier, more filling options.

• Mugby Junction 

Muffins, scones, cookies, quiche, sandwiches, salad, soup and my favorite coffee in town. When I go to Mugby Junction, my go-to order is the spinach quiche and a Satin Snowball if it’s cold outside, or a Raspberry Cloud if the weather is warm.

Photo by Kelsa Katzfey ’21

Hometown Classics

Good old-fashioned burgers and fries never let anyone down. Even still, Betty Jo’s, Ground Round, Green Mill and Winona’s Family Restaurant offer more than that!

• Betty Jo’s 

This was the first place I ever ate in Winona when my mom brought me on a campus tour, and Betty Jo’s has yet to disappoint.

• Ground Round

Honestly, sometimes I just go here for the dessert. Life is short, eat dessert first (especially at Ground Round!).

• Green Mill 

It would normally be hard to please a large group of people, but not at Green Mill. The menu is absolutely huge. Don’t believe me? Look for yourself.

• Winona’s Family Restaurant

Go here to find another ginormous menu to complement the appetite of any foodie. Winona’s Family Restaurant may seem like a dive from the outside, but man is it homey on the inside!

Photo by Kelsa Katzfey ’21

Around the World

• Ocean Sushi 

Ocean Sushi is a local favorite I’m told, and it also happens to be one of my personal favorites. Sushi for days!

• Great Hunan Chinese Restaurant 

Large portions, great prices. The Great Hunan is the place to go if you’re craving Chinese.

• El Patron Mexican Grill 

There are a few places in town to get Mexican food, but El Patron is the correct option. Why? Great food at a sit-down restaurant and good service. Want a faster option? Try Cha-Chis!

Photo by Kelsa Katzfey ’21

…And for Dessert?

• Bloedow’s Bakery 

I think people brag about Bloedow’s even if they haven’t gone. It’s that good. People (myself included) are just that proud to have Bloedow’s in our town. (P.S. It’s pronounced BLAY-dos)

• Nate & Ally’s Frozen Treat Creations 

Froyo, ice cream and edible cookie dough? Yes, please, Nate & Ally’s! Plus, a toppings bar that will make your sugary little heart flutter.

Craving ice cream in particular? Check out this ice cream tour video:

Sure, $5 Pizza is great and the KFC, McDonald’s and Culver’s in town aren’t bad options either.

But might I suggest giving your family a taste of the unique things Winona has to offer? This is also a great chance to adventure from your go-to options!

Updated by Hailey Seipel (07/24/2019)

The following two tabs change content below.

Samantha Johnson

Samantha graduated in 2019 with a BA in Public Relations and a minor in Marketing. She is from Rogers, MN and her hobbies include camping, hiking, reading, listening to music and hanging out with friends.

Latest posts by Samantha Johnson (see all)