Have you ever wondered what an RA does when they’re not throwing pizza parties or making rounds around the floors of their hall? I sure did. So, I set out to follow my RA Mary around the Quad and it was definitely an adventure.

Megan Peine ’22

I was able to see the behind-the-scenes work that an RA does in a typical day that I never knew about. From hall council and staff meetings, to open door hours and onion rings in the dining hall, Mary and I hit it all.

What I Learned

After following my RA around for the day, I learned these 5 things:

1. RAs hold open door hours every week, and they’re a great time to get to know your RA. They love to connect with residents were during open door hours while still being able to get a lot of homework done. Open door hours are a great way to hang out with your RA and still focus on academics.
  2. A lot goes in to making door decorations and bulletin boards. They make residents feel at home and educate them about new things. Bulletin boards have lots on information to help residents learn more about clubs and resources on campus and it’s a lot of work. Props to our RAs for taking the time to make us feel welcome and make the halls look inviting!
  3. Community kitchens and lounges are great areas to hang out and even get a little studying done. RAs will often hang out in the lounges to do homework, or they will hold events there. They’re great areas to hang out with your friends (or favorite staff member!), great natural light with big windows and you will often see your friends walking by, which offers a great chance to say hello.
  4. Your RA loves getting to know you. After being an RA for two years, Mary had lots of stories of how she connected with her residents. Every RA will agree that getting to know their residents is the best part of the job!
  5. Onion rings from West Campus are the best. Enough said.

I had so much fun following Mary around for the day and got some insight into the life of an RA. Hopefully you now have a better idea of what your RA does in a typical day!

-Megan Peine ’22

The following two tabs change content below.

Guest Blogger

Guest writers are sometimes featured on the WSU Blogs. If you would like to contribute, please submit your post here: http://blogs.winona.edu/submit-a-post/