The Diagnosis

I was in isolation for 7 days in Tau on West Campus. When I first got the call, I was in shock. I couldn’t believe that I actually got it. I was just in a wedding that weekend and was very concerned for the people I might have given it to.

I felt so gross just knowing that I had this virus that everyone was running from and scared about. And I knew people who didn’t have it would want to be far away from me (rightfully so).

WSU nurses called to tell me I tested positive and give me instructions on my next steps. They could tell I was really upset and were just really kind about the whole situation. They said I could call anytime to ask questions or even if I needed to just talk more.

The WSU nursing and housing staff were so understanding that it made me feel a lot better right away. The Hall Director on duty at the time was really kind and even went out of her way to get me dinner for the night.

Moving to Tau Center

My family has taken the pandemic very seriously and I knew that going home wasn’t an option. I just didn’t want to risk giving it to them, so I went to Tau. I honestly feel like given the circumstances, it was a good experience.

I didn’t have anywhere to be so I could sleep in until I had class and I had plenty of time to do homework. There were 6 other people in Tau with me, so I really didn’t get lonely.

Those of us who tested positive were able to go in the basement of Tau to watch movies, eat snacks and hang out. We still socially distanced and wore masks but that whole part has gotten to be pretty normal.

Tau has a kitchen, washer and dryer, and TV/couch setup in the basement. We would eat our meals down there– we had tons of snacks and a lot of good food everyday– and pass a lot of time together that way.

For a lot of us, if we weren’t doing homework or watching movies, we would call home. It helped me a lot to Facetime my family and let my parents know that I was doing all right, and it helped them be a little less concerned too.

I didn’t choose to tell most of my professors that I had COVID-19. Though I was sick, but I still able to keep up with school just fine. All of my professors said that they would give students extra time to catch up if we had COVID, so I knew if I got behind, I would just have to reach out.

COVID-19 is Real Y’all

Lastly, contrary to popular belief, I got very sick the first few days.

My worst day was on Sunday. I had terrible body aches and it hurt to just have my skin touch anything else or even blink my eyes. I slept most of the day just so I didn’t have to be awake and be in pain.

After that, I had a cough, sore throat, congestion and fatigue that lasted for a solid ten days. I had the energy to keep up with school, but I am normally a pretty active person and this was not an option for me. I would get tired and sore just from walking up the stairs from the basement.

It took me a few weeks to be able to do a normal cardio workout after that. It’s honestly scary to think how my lungs have been affected and if there will be side effects down the road.

–Allie Pickett ’21

The following two tabs change content below.

Guest Blogger

Guest writers are sometimes featured on the WSU Blogs. If you would like to contribute, please submit your post here: https://blogs.winona.edu/submit-a-post/