In Winona, the winters are long—very long. And though many of us are in denial that warmth will ever come again, gradually, we pass through the stages of acceptance and enjoy a Winona spring once again.
1. Absolute denial
Because we know better than to think warmth is ever coming back.
2. Being skeptical
We’re not really sure how to feel when the temp reaches above 30 degrees.
3. Shedding layers
And it feels so good.
4. Putting the layers back on to endure the inevitable last-minute snow storm
We can’t even.
5. Taking your winter coat out of storage, because you actually still need it
Even when spring hasn’t really arrived, we just pretend it has.
7. Refusing to acknowledge any temperature below 50
No, we will NEVER go back there.
8. Actually smiling when you’re outside
It’s not really our fault; our faces were frozen the entirety of winter.
9. Hitting the Drive-Inn, the lakes, the bluffs, the baseball fields and everything else you associate with Winona in the Spring
Yes. Yes to all.
10. Forgetting that winter ever even happened
Were the past four months even real?
Put away the boots and coats because the winter amnesia is coming, and so is the warm weather!