For many freshmen, going to college is the time they’ve been away from their families for months at a time. Homesickness is pretty common around the residence halls and it sucks–we know, we’ve been freshmen too. To help you avoid feeling homesick, we interviewed 22 freshman and asked them what they have been doing to adjust to college life. Here is their advice:
1. Keep busy
The more active you are the easier it will be to meet people and to feel at home.
2. Go to Class
This keeps your mind occupied as well as gives you something to feel proud of.
3. Get a Job
If you get an on or off campus job, you will meet quality people who could become life-long friends as well as get work experience for your resume.
4. Explore Winona
5. Hang Out with Friends from Your Hometown
Occasionally spend time with familiar faces as they can be a little piece of home at school. Be sure to return the favor and visit them at their colleges too!
6. Participate in Campus Activities
Join intramural teams or other clubs on campus. Participate in residence hall events also. These activities are a great way to meet the people living around you as well as people with similar interests.
7. Keep Your Door Open
Keep your door open and get to know those around you. They will become some of your best friends and will see you at your best and your worst.
8. Occasionally Skype Friends and Family
Don’t call home every day as that can make you more homesick. But a little skype chat from time to time can be very reassuring and refreshing.
9. Keep Family Traditions Going
Maybe you had some fun family traditions like watching the Super Bowl, Sunday Muffin Day or Friday Game Night. Keep these traditions going with your new friend-family!
10. Decorate Your Room with Pictures
Putting up photos may seem like just a little thing but making your room look and feel like home can make a big difference.
–Trevor Frosig and Sara Bahnsen
Latest posts by Guest Blogger (see all)
- How to Make the Most of Your Spring Break Day - March 24, 2021
- What Being an Online Student at WSU is Really Like - March 22, 2021
- Warrior Change Up: Super Smash Bros - March 18, 2021
- All of the Ways You are Supported at WSU - March 17, 2021
- Warrior Change Up: Bullet Journaling - March 10, 2021