Winter break has passed and we already have a week of spring semester classes under our belts! Even though it’s tough to come back to Winona and face the reality of classes, work and other responsibilities, we all are also faced with the obvious signs that we’re back on campus and in the full swing of things. Here are a few of the reminders you’ll be seeing or have already seen–whether you like it or not!
1. You hate the thought of finding a parking spot
Whether you have a parking pass, use the meters or bank on finding a spot anywhere near campus, it’s always a struggle trying to park. Especially living in a state where being outdoors for more than 35 seconds freezes your entire body, no one’s trying to walk further than they have to.
2. You’re waiting in line to buy textbooks
We all dread that first week or two of classes when we charge our student accounts with textbooks we wish we didn’t need.
3. You’re bombarded with “Zane’s/Caf?” texts every day
Now that everyone spends almost their entire day on campus, Zane’s and Caf get-togethers are back in full swing. No one ever wants to eat alone, so we find ourselves asking every friend within the Winona area to join us for food.
4. You’ve created a shortcut through campus to stay out of the cold
We’ve all done it. Especially on those extra cold days when the wind makes your face hurt and your eyes water. Although it’s a short walk through campus, the extra time it takes to maneuver through every possible building to warm up for 10 seconds is worth it.
5. You try not to laugh when you see people casually recover from almost slipping on their way to class
It’s inevitable. Every season, we see someone slipping on the ice while walking through campus–or acting like nothing happened when they catch themselves. Either way it’s usually a funny sight (until we are the ones who slip).
6. You see people in shorts and wonder what on Earth they’re thinking
Some Minnesotans are braver than they should be. Snow? Below freezing temperatures? No problem, I’ll just wear my favorite shorts or shirt WITH NO JACKET. And these people definitely stick out like a sore thumb as you pass by them shivering in your parka.
7. You use your laundry money for Mugby coffee in the morning
Most mornings we just need the extra caffeine boost to wake us up, but in the winter it’s a matter of retrieving all things warm. Holding that hot cup of Joe on your way to class is worth wearing the same pair of jeans three days in a row.
– Updated by Hailey Seipel (10/18/2019)
Latest posts by Lauren Reuteler (see all)
- 8 Reasons to Get Excited for Einstein Bros. Bagels & Caribou Coffee Coming to Campus! - May 2, 2016
- Get Involved in ANAD Week - April 7, 2016
- 10 Reasons To Attend This Year’s Spring Concert - March 14, 2016
- 8 Things to Expect When Going Through Sorority Recruitment - January 26, 2016
- 7 Signs You’re Back on Campus after Winter Break - January 19, 2016