Usually after a few weeks at college, it is the norm for a Winona State student to venture back home to wash laundry, have a home cooked meal, see old friends, and visit the parents. This is what usually happens, but not this time.
The weekend of September 20th, parents came from far and wide to stay in Winona with their WSU students. Winona State hosted Family Weekend, and it brought in many tourists to our beautiful community.
Luckily, the weather was beautiful so the families could enjoy all of the outdoor activities that Winona has to offer.
I spent the weekend spending time with my roommate and her family. Here is we spent the weekend:
- 10:00- got up to greet the parents
- 10:30- went to the Farmer’s Market downtown
- 11:00- grabbed lunch downtown at Bub’s
- 11:30- explored the downtown area and the cute boutiques
- 12:00- walked to campus
- 12:30- look at the deals and steals at the WSU bookstore
- 1:00- watched the Warriors dominate the football field at Verizon Stadium
- 3:00- walked around the lake
- 5:00- ate dinner at Mango’s
- 7:00- spent time looking at more shops in Winona
- 11:00- went to the Marine Art Museum to marvel at the new art pieces
- 1:00- enjoyed a scenic drive to Galesville to visit an apple orchard
- 2:00- finished watching the rest of the Packer game (of course)
- 4:00-canoe on Lake Winona
- 7:00- took a lovely drive up to Garvin Heights for a breathtaking view
After two and a half days of exploring, it was finally time to settle in for another week of work and school. There were many other wonderful activities to do, there just wasn’t possibly enough time to do everything!
Other families enjoyed the day by: bowling, hiking, riding the trolley, going to the magic show, watching the Midwest Dueling Pianos Show, shopping eating and spending time at other museums. Winona State parents and students are so fortunate to have so many great activities on the weekends both indoors and outdoors.