winter on campus

Photo by Amy Nelson ’20

Cold, gloomy, wintery days are a perfect excuse to snuggle up with a cup of hot chocolate, cuddle up in your favorite blanket and watch movies. Some of my favorite memories from my time spent in the dorms were with my friends binge watching movies. We’d spend our Saturdays, Sundays and sometimes weeknights eating popcorn, cookie dough or Topperstix crammed between two twin beds and a futon. I think we watched every old school classic, comedy, romance or animated film under the sun. With one of the biggest award shows, The Oscars, taking place this weekend (Feb. 28), I felt it necessary to list some of the best movies to binge watch. These are just my opinion, and also keep in mind if I named every movie I loved the list would last about 20 pages long, but here are some that stick out in my mind.

The first may be a bit biased because I’ve read the book series four times and have seen every movie at least three times because this series will always be my favorite: Harry Potter. Ron, Harry, and Hermione became my three best friends during the series. If HP isn’t your style, good alternatives include The Hunger Games, Lord of The Rings, Star Wars, or Twilight (Not my favorite but my roommates love it).

Another one of my favorites is Back to The Future where Marty McFly travels 30 years into the past to make sure his high school aged parents unite. Another good movie I’d suggest as an alternative is Wayne’s World, which inspired my Halloween costume for this year, Austin Powers, Zoolander, Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, and Dumb and Dumber.

This next movie I can’t count the number of times we watched but it never got old: Frozen. Who doesn’t love a good movie with a Disney princess who isn’t saved by a man, but her sister? Other goodies would be any Disney movie!

I have a love-hate relationship with scary movies but most of the time, I can’t get enough of them. My all time favorites are the Paranormal Activity series. They scare me every time. I also like Insidious, The Conjuring, and The Blair Witch Project.

Love stories next, and there are many, many I could name because most movies involve some sort of romance. I don’t have one favorite but many: The Titanic, The Notebook (had to list this one), Slumdog Millionaire, Along Came Polly, Hitch, or any Nicholas Sparks movie.

Another category I have is what I call movies that will blow your mind or throw you for a loop. I also had my roommate put in her suggestions for this one and we have some good ones: Shutter Island, The Sixth Sense, American Beauty, Premonition, and Déjà vu.

Other movies that I highly suggest and can’t think of a bad comment to make about them include American Sniper, Fast and Furious, Pride and Prejudice, Secret Life of Bees, Breakfast At Tiffany’s, Woman in Gold, The Godfather, Imitation Game, The Dark Knight, Saving Private Ryan, It’s a Wonderful Life, Goodwill Hunting, The Princess Bride, Cast Away and so many more.

So, grab some friends or have a relaxing night by yourself and tackle some of these must-sees!

The following two tabs change content below.

Hannah Peterson

Hannah graduated with a BS in Nursing in 2017. She is from Burlington, WI and loves traveling, exploring the great outdoors, reading, puppies and spending time with family and friends.

Latest posts by Hannah Peterson (see all)