Photo by Amy Nelson ’20

Health and Wellness Services is sponsoring a new co-curricular experience called “Got Health and Happiness”. This program is a 4-week journey to embracing your wellness!  It’s a self-guided program designed to help enhance your overall health!

Who doesn’t love improving their lives to promote their health and well-being for free!?

A few highlights from week three:

Give yourself a break!

We are in Week 6 for classes, and it feels like everything is happening all at once. This activity was really helpful to remind me that regular breaks and engaging in self-care is so important. Longer periods of rest are important too. I noticed with my crazy schedule this past month, I was finding that I had less energy and I was overall less productive. This exercise challenged me to manage my energy, rather than my time. Practicing energy management was great and I found I felt less drained at the end of the day.

Genuine connections with others improves your well being

Last weekend, I drove up to the Twin Cities with my best friend and I thought this was a perfect opportunity to try out this exercise. Frequently, I find that I am not fully present in conversations and it turns into a back and forth of our different experiences. I decided to just listen, and try to understand my best friends experience and validate their emotions by fully immersing myself in the conversation. By being fully present, I felt more connected to my best friend and happier in the end.

Self-comforting touch promotes physical health

Hugs make you feel better, massages make you feel better, but also playing with pets reduces anxiety! I have two of the sweetest cats, and I decided to take time out of my day to spend time with them. It was the best decision ever. Before bed, I would sit on my couch and play with my cats. It was a great choice to do this and it is something I am 100% going to continue to do each day! Even if it was for 5 minutes, I felt better about myself at the end of the day to spend time with my cats.

Even just some small, manageable changes can make a world of a difference! Check out my blogs from the first and second week!

Just a reminder, you do get credit for this! For more information follow us on Facebook and sign up today!

The following two tabs change content below.

Violet DeStefano

Wellness Blog Manager
Violet DeStefano '20 is a Public Health: Community Health Major, spending her free time being the writing blogs, drinking coffee and spending time with her pets.

Latest posts by Violet DeStefano (see all)