2017 WSU Homecoming! The statement itself gets me pumped up, and if you’ve ever attended a WSU’s homecoming, I know you’re excited too. One thing most students agree on is how fun our homecoming is. With people galore and purple everywhere, homecoming weekend is one of the most looked forward to events of Fall semester.

The Winona community gets in on the fun too! I like to think that the Winona community members appreciate that WSU students clean up the homecoming mess afterwards. Wait. What’s that you say, Sami? WSU students clean up parts of town after homecoming? YES!

I first heard about the Homecoming “Clean Sweep” my sophomore year, when my roommate came home after being gone for an hour or so. I asked what she had been up to and she told me about this clean-up project and how easy it was; not to mention the free T-shirt she got for her good deed. I knew I wanted to join the ‘sweep’ the next time around and that’s exactly what I’m doing this year.

The Homecoming “Clean Sweep” is Sunday, October 22nd from 3:00-4:30 p.m. Walking around to pick up litter will be a good, light exercise to recover after your day of fun.

Sign up for your chance to be a good neighbor to the Winona community and if you’re one of the first 50 to sign up, you get a free T-shirt. Unfortunately the free t-shirts are already gone for this year, but be sure to sign up earlier next year for your chance to win a free shirt! I am genuinely excited to give my time to do something so easy and give back to this place we call home.  

Do you want in on more volunteer opportunities? Similar to the “clean sweep,” WSU will host the “Good Neighbors” program each weekend during fall semester. Student clubs and organizations can sign up for a weekend to improve various designated areas of town.

I hope to see you all showing your purple pride this #WSUHoCo17. And remember, being a good neighbor, even if it is simply picking up trash along the sidewalk, can make a huge impact in improving our world; the Winona community.