Name: Karen Sullivan | Class of 2019 | Major: B.S. Early Childhood & Elementary Education/Sociology and MS Professional Leadership | Post Graduation Job: Interim Director of the WSU Children’s Center

Why You Are Proud to Be a WSU Grad

My graduate studies began in 1991 and continued through the years with competing for attention from both my full-time career responsibilities and personal roles as a wife, mother, daughter, sister, and community member. My final coursework has been completed over the past three years in the Leadership Education program at WSU, culminating twenty-seven years of personal growth and leadership experience.

How Has WSU Helped You Achieve Your Goals

The professors and fellow graduate students have contributed to my academic success. Their patience and encouragement to extend beyond my limits and willingness to walk the walk with me. The core of learning is based on the relationship for me. The WSU community has a core culture of respect and relationship, and I experienced it during the ups and downs of my program.

Unexpected Experience

The connections with other graduate students representing other disciplines, cultures, and life experiences. The classroom is the great equalizer as we are all striving toward the common goal of creating the best version of ourselves.

Words of Wisdom

Trust yourself and do not be afraid to try new things! Keep an open mind and generous heart toward yourself, your classmates, and professors and take care of yourself. It is a well-worn cliche but progress, not perfection must be your goal.

u

Advice to Your Freshman Self

Have a goal in mind but remain open and flexible to the path and the people who show up to guide you. The outcome will be more than you could imagine for yourself.

Winona State graduates experience a 95% job placement rate in their field. Many even land positions before graduation. Learn more about our 2019 spring graduates.