Choose WSU Days are special events where admitted students can come to campus, meet future classmates, and explore the opportunities Winona has to offer.
I know there are some questions as to what actually happens at a Choose WSU day. Is it just a campus tour? Are there other activities? Should I go if I already visited campus before?
Choose WSU has so many activities and I’m here to relay my experience. The first event was held on Nov. 30, and being part of the Admissions office, I was in attendance. Here is a quick run-down so you’ll have a better understanding of what these days entail.
1. Wake up with Some Complementary Coffee
Check-in begins at 8:30am, where you will receive a schedule, map and free t-shirt.
You are then free to mingle with other families, take commemorative photos at the Warrior Dress-Up Photo Stand, and wake up with some complementary coffee and snacks.
2. Be Formally Welcomed to WSU
Brian Jicinsky, Director of WSU Admissions, opens up with a “Welcome to Winona State” presentation. Here, he’ll explain the agenda for the day as well as some intro information about our university.
3. Hear from a Panel of Current Students
You can anonymously text in your questions students on the panel to answer. This is a great opportunity to ask about life as a Warrior!
4. Explore the Different Colleges
Then, there is a brief information session about the different academic colleges. One of our admissions counselors will go over the five “college ofs” we have at WSU to help you figure out which one you would like to check out during the Academic Exploration Free Time.
5. Enjoy a Free Lunch
Finally, there is free lunch provided for all admitted students and family in the Jack Kane Dining Center. Enjoy the buffet-style meal with tons of different food options from pizza, to build-your-own sub, to the pasta line (my personal favorite), salad bar, soft-serve ice cream, assorted desserts, and much more.
6. Scope Out the Different WSU Clubs
If you finish lunch before 1pm, there is a Club Showcase available to check out different ways you can get involved on campus.
7. You Get to Choose!
What makes Choose WSU Day different from a regular campus visit experience is the opportunity to choose what event you want to go to in the afternoon.
The campus is your oyster and the schedule is your guide. There will always be a helpful figure wearing purple to assist you in finding your way.
Choose WSU Day Events
There are far too many events that happen during a Choose WSU Day to list them all here, but I will give some examples from each category.
- Residence Life offers housing tours for both Main and West Campus, assistance with your housing application, and information about getting involved in your Residence Hall.
- Student Life provides campus tours and many information sessions on topics of student life ranging from study abroad opportunities to outdoor recreation activity to a special panel for parents of incoming students. You can also meet with the WSU dietitian and dining services staff.
- Student Support is great for getting informed on financial aid, registration, veteran services, TRiO (first-generation student support), and finding career opportunities on campus.
- To explore Academic Life, find your department of interest for a Meet and Greet with professors, or join a cool activity related to your field of study.
Academic Life Activities
At the last Choose WSU Day, academic departments offered a wide range of activities.
- Geoscience: The Geoscience faculty held a fossil preparation lab.
- Chemistry: The Chemistry professors demonstrated the science of making cheese.
- Biology: This department had students look at a cancer cell culture.
- Nursing: Nursing had their own demonstration, lecture, and student panel and laboratory tours were available.
- Music: An open rehearsal was held by the Symphonic Wind Ensemble
- English: This department held an interactive lecture demonstrating invaluable communication in an academic and work setting.
These examples don’t even begin to cover all of the opportunities available for you at a Choose WSU day. I can go on and on about how insightful this event will be for incoming students, but the best way is for you to see it yourself.
Latest posts by Breanna McGeorge (see all)
- Here’s How We Can Help If You Have to be Verified for FAFSA - December 6, 2018
- 8 Reasons Why You Should Attend a Choose WSU Day - December 4, 2018
- Three Steps to Apply to WSU - October 11, 2018
- Not Too Big, Not Too Small, Smedium - October 5, 2018
- Strategies for Paying for College - September 5, 2018