The new normal seems anything but normal and “expect the unexpected” has become our daily motto. We’ve all been challenged to accept, change and adapt to quite a bit these past several months.
But it’s important to remember not to lose sight of the goodness that’s to come—your first year as a college student!
Understandably, you may have many questions about Move-In Day. The process may be a little different than you originally envisioned, but Winona State wants to make sure you have the best experience while remaining safe.
So, here’s what you need to know about moving in during a pandemic.
1. Select a time to drop off your items
This year, Move-In will include staggered drop-off appointments to ensure there are less people in one place. Using the Housing Portal on eServices, you’ll get to choose a two-hour time frame between Aug. 7 – 16.
2. Bring a helping hand, or two
You’ll be allowed to bring two helpers to move everything into your room. Regardless who comes along, your assistants must be over the age of 16 and are encouraged to wear protective masks, especially if they aren’t fully vaccinated.
3. Be smart with your drop-off time
During your drop-off appointment, you must come wearing a mask. Bring larger items with you, such as a mini fridge and TV. Feel free to also bring your bedding, clothes, school supplies and any decorations you won’t need at home.
You may not be able to perfectly set everything up in your room within two hours, but that’s totally okay.
You ultimately want to drop off your items, then:
- take measurements of your room
- brainstorm how you’ll arrange your furniture
- make a list of items you want to bring back with you, such as toiletries, electronics and other smaller essentials
Once your two hours are up, you must exit your room and res hall. This is another safety precaution to limit exposure. The good news is you can return to campus on Aug. 20 to decorate your space exactly as you like it.
This year’s Move-In process is surely a little different than prior years’, but it comes with a handful of perks, such as:
- You get to pick a day that works best with your schedule and is convenient for your helpers.
- There will be much less traffic and wait time.
- You get to think about decorating your space before officially moving in.
Remember not to lose sight of the goodness that’s to come. You are more than capable of making this year one to remember—and we’ll be there for you every step of the way!