Few professions are as important to society as teachers. The Winona State University-Rochester Teacher Education program is helping to inspire a new generation of teachers within the greater Rochester area. With our flexible and personalized Nights and Weekends degree completion program, returning students and adult learners can earn their Bachelor of Science Teaching Degree in Elementary Education and help “pass the flame” of education throughout our community.
The Elementary Education Nights and Weekends program was designed to reflect the needs of today’s 21st century learners, especially continuing or returning students. Courses in this program are offered at night and on weekends, which provides a flexible path towards a career as an elementary school teacher. Individuals well suited for this program include paraprofessionals, mid-career professionals, recent college graduates, non-instructional assistants, school service providers, career changers, adult learners in child-centered jobs, and more. Students in this program will be eligible for Elementary Education Licensure (K-6) in Minnesota.
“Pass the Flame”
An important part of the educational experience at Winona State University-Rochester is the connection students make with leaders from local industries and organizations. This is essential for all students, but especially for those that are starting a new career path. To help inspire those considering a new career as a teacher, WSU-Rochester hosted an alumni, teacher, and prospective student open house and networking event on Thursday, February 27 from 5-7 PM at the STEM Village in the Heintz Center.
Event attendees networked with local teachers and WSU alumni to talk about the teaching profession and current trends in education. Prospective students met with faculty and staff from WSU-Rochester to learn how to earn a Minnesota licensure in Elementary Education (K-6).
There was plenty of time for one-on-one conversations and individual academic planning during the event. Advisors from WSU were on hand to help interested students start the application process.
This event highlighted the WSU-Rochester Elementary Education Nights & Weekends program, a great option for working professionals to obtain their Bachelor of Science Teaching Degree in Elementary Education. Local teachers joined us to talk about the teaching profession and to help prospective students find their path to a successful career as an educator.
For more information about Teacher Education programs at WSU-Rochester, please contact:
Recruitment & Advising Coordinator
Rochester Education Department – Winona State University
Learn more and get involved
- Learn more about the Elementary Education Nights and Weekends program
- Learn more about the Teacher Education program at Winona State University-Rochester
- Read about the importance of the teaching profession
- Get to know Megan Simonson, Recruitment & Advising Coordinator for the Rochester Education Department
Latest posts by Joe Hammes (see all)
- Online Education and COVID-19: Elementary Education - April 3, 2020
- Assistance from a Distance - March 19, 2020
- Online Education and COVID-19: A Conversation with Dr. Jeanine Gangeness and Dr. Linda Kingston - March 17, 2020
- WSU-Rochester Hosts Virtual Open House for Transfer Students - February 21, 2020
- Nights and Weekends Program Offers Path to Career in Elementary Education - February 6, 2020