John HenkeWhy I chose Biology at WSU
Winona State University offered me an affordable and quality education within biology. From the laboratory spaces to the lecture halls, I was impressed with the layout of the facilities and the resources available to me as a student. The department also had amazing research opportunities on campus that I wanted to be a part of. The faculty here was passionate about teaching me the skills I needed to succeed and were dedicated to see me grow as a scientist. Also, the town and area around the campus provided me a great place to live and explore.

What I gained from my experience in the Biology Department
During my time as a Cell and Molecular Biology major, I was challenged academically to not simply memorize facts but rather ask questions, link concepts, and propose new ideas. Each course brought with it new and fascinating projects that pushed me to think “outside the box” to solve relevant problems. The experience deepened my passion for science and reinforced my desire to apply it in the clinical setting. Participating in research with a professor was an excellent experience as I was able to lead my own experiments, apply what I learned in the classroom, and advance a field of biological research. My experience in the Biology Department yielded me valuable professional connections, mentors, and friends that will last a lifetime.

What I will be doing after Graduation
I am pursuing practice of allopathic or osteopathic medicine by applying to medical schools across the country. Prior to matriculation into a program, I am planning on participating in continued biological research, clinical research, as well as possible medical scribing to prepare me for the next chapter of my life. It would be fun to remain in Minnesota and to serve those in my state, but I am also excited to see where my career takes me and who I’ll meet along the way.