Spring semester is always a challenge for me to get into the swing of things. The winter months usually leave me feeling sluggish.

polar bear

Without enough stimulation during the day I end up feeling unfulfilled, restless and unproductive. When I don’t believe I have accomplished enough during the day, pessimistic thoughts start to roll around in my head and the negative cycle continues.

Goal Setting

Gives purpose

Goal setting gives you something to look forward to. The CEO of mindtools.com states “Many people feel as if they’re adrift in the world. They work hard, but they don’t seem to get anywhere worthwhile.” This causes people to feel stuck in their heads, like they can’t focus on anything but how little they’ve accomplished in their life.

An easy fix to feel a sense of accomplishment is to set reachable long term and short-term goals. This will give you long-term vision and short-term motivation to get there.

How to set goals

Many people have a hard time thinking of goals. I have found that using a vision board to see what you want your life to look like long term can be an extremely helpful aid. Once you know your long-term goal, you can set smaller, more specific goals to help you get there. I have seen other people’s vision boards compared to pictures in their real life and they are surprisingly synonymous.

Put up your vision board in your room so you have a daily reminder of where your hard work will take you. You may even inspire your roommate to do the same! Setting goals in all aspects of your life such as career, financial, education, family, personal attitude, physical, relaxing activities and public service, can help to fill your mind with positive, worthwhile thoughts.

The people around you

Goal setting doesn’t just affect your life. When you’re feeling driven, accomplished, and satisfied with your life, those are the kind of people you will attract.  Having other people around you that want to make their life better – and the world a better place – is uplifting in itself. Set some goals and create good karma for yourself. What you put out in the world will come back to you.

It is easy to see that goal setting can lead to feeling better and more accomplished. It’s a win-win!