Every year, WSU’s Mathematics & Statistics Department awards several Foundation scholarships to students majoring in Data Science, Math Education, Mathematics, and Statistics.

See what opportunities await you to fund your education and learn some quick facts about your fellow Warriors who are just like you.

Benchmark Electronics Statistics Scholarship

Peyton Sikkink

Data Science and Statistics Double Major

Hometown: Lewiston, MN

Activities: Doing track and field and playing basketball and video games.

Future Plans: I want to work for a professional sports team or at Mayo Clinic.

What I like best about my major: The amazing Math & Stat Department’s willingness to help each other grow.

What I like best about being a WSU student: Access to some incredible places like the fitness center and Lake Winona.

Interesting Fact: I can solve a Rubik’s Cube in less than a minute.

Daniel & Christine Rand Scholarship

Sulaiman Bada

Data Science and Computer Science Double Major

Hometown: St. Michael, MN

Activities: Computer Science Club and playing soccer.

Future Plans: I hope to work at a tech giant as an Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning. Eventually, I want to go back to school and get a master’s degree. Finally, I will be actively working on starting my own business. I have already started and hope to have a prototype of our first product ready to release by the end of the summer. 

What I like best about my major: I like working with numbers. Being a DSCI major gives me the freedom to manipulate and interpret data in many different ways. With the knowledge I have acquired, I can do things with data that I never even thought I was capable of.  

What I like best about being a WSU student: A WSU Warrior by default means I am surrounded by a community. I have people around me who want me to succeed. We are all motivated to work hard regardless of what we are in. Being a WSU student means being a part of a community of learners.  

Interesting Fact: I was born in Nigeria and am part of the Yoruba ethic group.

Department of Mathematics & Statistics Alumni Scholarship

Emily Eich

Mathematics and Mathematics – Secondary Teaching Double Major, Spanish Minor

Hometown: Austin, MN 

Activities: Riding horses, embroidering, fishing, cooking, and hiking with friends and family.

Future Plans: I plan on being a secondary math teacher, hopefully either within a low-income school or somewhere else where the need is great. My minor in Spanish helps me to reach more students. My end goal is to help my students become skillful, important people in the world. 

What I like best about my major: I love the professors here. I have no complaints about any of them–they are all so easily approachable and want to see you succeed in their class as well as life in general. 

What I like best about being a WSU student: I love how there are opportunities for you to learn and grow everywhere you look at WSU. Whether it be the clubs, the amazing workout facilities, or the seminars and events–there is always something to do here in Winona. 

Interesting Fact: When I am not teaching, I want to own an eating establishment and have my cousin who has Down Syndrome play a major role in the business. She and I have always wanted to be chefs and bakers since we were kids, and I want to help her and other people blessed with Down Syndrome to have a sense of belonging in society. 

Duane & Edwina Wolfe Math Education Scholarship

Jordan Ott

Mathematics and Mathematics – Secondary Teaching Double Major

Hometown: Rockville, MN

Activities: Reading, camping, biking, and swimming. I also like to spend time with my friends, roommates, and family whenever possible.

Future Plans: After graduation, I hope to teach in a rural area for a few years before returning to school to pursue a master’s degree in mathematics. 

What I like best about my major: My favorite part of being a math major is the inclusive and inspiring professors who I have in the Math & Statistics department. During my middle and high school years, I did not have many educators encouraging me to pursue a career in mathematics. The staff at WSU have always believed in my abilities and made me believe that I can do anything I set my mind to. The support provided by these professors and the connections I have built with them is definitely my favorite part of being a math major. 

What I like best about being a WSU student: WSU provides many opportunities for adventure, education, connection, and career development. I like being able to explore the bluffs and lakes with my friends. I also love learning at a college with a well-known education department. Winona has allowed me to create connections with other like-minded people. This college experience also has allowed me to become a better teacher by giving me opportunities to work with students from various backgrounds. Overall, my favorite part of being a WSU student is the opportunities that are available. 

Interesting Fact: I have a great memory for random facts and information, so I am good at advanced math and trivia… However, I cannot read a clock or subtract in my head. 

Clara Kuerschner

Mathematics – Secondary Teaching and Social Science – History Teaching Double Major

Hometown: Waconia, MN 

Activities: WSU Student Senate.

Future Plans: I hope to teach high school Mathematics and History after graduation. 

What I like best about my major: I like the community of people I’ve gotten to know in my math classes and within my majors. We met through studying and working on homework together, and we’re all great friends because of it. 

What I like best about being a WSU student: I like the small communities within WSU. There is a place for everyone to find their people and to create lifelong friendships both in their majors and in other aspects of campus life. 

Erwin Bachler Scholarship

Allison Athman

Mathematics – Secondary Teaching Major, Spanish Minor

Hometown: Lino Lakes, MN 

Activities: Outside of class, I am an officer for Spanish Language Club and I am also a member of the Student Council for Exceptional Children program on campus. In my free time, I enjoy cooking and baking, and I love just spending time with my friends–whether we have a movie night or go out and relax by the lake. 

Future Plans: I plan on becoming a math teacher, preferably in a middle school. I also hope I can travel a lot once I graduate.  

What I like best about my major: I love being a Math Ed major because I have made some great friends from having the same math classes together. Also, the class sizes in this department are small, so I feel like I am able to create better relationships with my professors and classmates. 

What I like best about being a WSU student: I love being a WSU student because of the professors. The professors here show that they care for their students and want every student to succeed, and I am always comfortable going to my professors for help. 

Interesting Fact: I have a twin sister! 

Fred & Sandy Olson Scholarship

Amberly Langer

Mathematics and Statistics Double Major

Hometown: Shoreview, MN 

Activities: I love being outside, whether that mean hiking, kayaking, paddle boarding, etc. I am also the Vice President of WSU Ambassadors Honorary and the secretary of Winona State On the Fly on campus. 

Future Plans: Recently, I have been thinking about attending graduate school to receive my master’s degree in Statistics. The University of Minnesota – Twin Cities has really caught my eye. I have always thought about rowing the boat as a Golden Gopher, but Winona State stole my heart for my undergrad. After all of my schooling, my dream job would have to be a sports statistician for a major league baseball team just like the movie Moneyball where they show how statistics can predict lower value players who can succeed to make a winning team.

I grew up in St. Paul with the Minnesota Twins, Vikings, Wild, and Timberwolves all around me. Sports are a huge part of my life, watching or playing. To be able to work for one of those teams would be a dream come true. I also plan to coach softball and use my knowledge of mathematics and statistics to scout or help those I am coaching. Softball and baseball are use statistics to improve any team’s game plan. After playing softball for over 11 years, I would love to mix my two passions of math and sports into a career.

What I like best about my major: I chose this path because I love analyzing data along with thinking critically and solving problems. I have always loved math growing up, as it was almost like I was learning a new language to think about the world in a different way.  

What I like best about being a WSU student: I love everything about being a WSU student. With student life, there are so many clubs to join along with numerous sporting events to cheer on the Warriors. I also love the academics at Winona. I am able to take classes with my friends that create such a fun learning environment. I love all the professors at WSU–they care so much about their students excelling inside and outside of the classroom. 

Interesting Fact: I have a pet fish named Bob. 

Lorena W. Jacobson Scholarship

Dylan Steberg

Mathematics, Statistics, and Mathematics – Secondary Teaching Triple Major

Hometown: Wanamingo, MN 

Activities: I am part of the Math/Stats club and EMAE club, and I work for Tutoring Services as a Mathematics and Statistics tutor.  

Future Plans: I am not exactly sure yet. If I am able to, I would like to go to grad school. Otherwise, I would like to teach high school math at the high school I graduated from or at a school in that area. 

What I like best about my major: The best part about having a major in Mathematics & Statistics is all the professors I get to have class with. The Math & Stats professors are incredible. They care about their students, get to know them on a personal level, and make class entertaining. They make it exciting to learn! 

What I like best about being a WSU student: The best part about being a WSU student is all the events the school puts on and all the activities that Winona has to offer. I also love rocking the purple apparel.

Interesting Fact: I am a triplet! 

Mackenzie Ackerman

Mathematics – Secondary Teaching Major

Hometown: Monticello, MN

Activities: I enjoy spending time with my friends and family, listening to all kinds of music, and doing anything outside during the summer months.

Future Plans: After graduation, I hope to move closer to my hometown and find a teaching job.

What I like best about my major: My favorite thing about being a Math Education major is all the fantastic professors I get to work with. I love both math and teaching, so I feel extremely blessed that I get to learn from some of the best professors about both those things here at WSU!

What I like best about being a WSU student: I love being a WSU student because of the campus culture–I feel so supported and welcomed anywhere I go. 

Interesting Fact: I was born with two different colored eyes! 

Lucille Barnes and Blaine Diesslin Scholarship 

Jacquelyn Hoeft

Mathematics – Secondary Teaching Major

Hometown: Paynesville, MN 

Activities: Playing volleyball and cribbage, rollerblading, and camping.

Future Plans: After graduation, I hope to move back to my hometown and get a teaching job in the area. 

What I like best about my major: I like the satisfaction of solving a difficult problem and being able to work with students. 

What I like best about being a WSU student: I love all the outdoor activities in Winona and all the friends I’ve met here. 

Interesting Fact: I was a fraction of a point away from qualifying for the state grocery bagging contest. 

May S. Murray Scholarship

Mya Austin

Mathematics and Data Science Double Major

Hometown: Duluth, MN 

Activities: I am the founder and president of Tie Dye club! I also love rock climbing, painting, and playing board games.

Future Plans: I don’t have any definitive plans yet, but I would like to use my knowledge of Math and Data Science to find ways to make companies more sustainable.

What I like best about my major: I love how I am able to solve complex problems every day. The professors in the department are awesome, and I love how supportive they have been.

What I like best about being a WSU student: I love that there is such a great recreation scene at WSU! I never thought that I would have an opportunity to go ice climbing on the bluffs or rock climbing in Utah, but WSU made that possible.

Interesting Fact: I can repeatedly crack my left big toe! 

Roger Janusiak

Mathematics and Physics Double Major

Hometown: Racine, WI

Activities: Rock climbing, biking, curling, and playing Banjo.

Future Plans: My current plans are to go to graduate school and pursue my Ph.d in Physics and hopefully become a professor. 

What I like best about my major: I like that I am able to learn how the universe works through math. I am able to understand abstract physical concepts because of the language of math. 

What I like best about being a WSU student: What I like best about being a WSU student is the personal connections that I am able to have with my professors. 

Interesting Fact: My favorite food ever is potatoes–you can cook anything with them! 

Patricia Corbera

Mathematics – Secondary Teaching and Spanish Double Major

Hometown: Stillwater, MN 

Activities: Taking photos, learning how to count from zero to 10 in different languages, and reading historical books about World War II. I’m also in the Students of Latinx club at WSU and am currently an RA. 

Future Plans: Teach high school students math in the English and Spanish languages.

What I like best about my major: Being surrounded with people who also like math as much as I do. 

What I like best about being a WSU student: All the amazing people I’ve become friends with and the community I’ve built for myself, too. 

Interesting Fact: I was born in Peru but grew up in Maryland and Washington, D.C., for most of my 18 years of life. 

Miranda Van Ruler

Mathematics – Secondary Teaching Major

Hometown: Edgerton, MN 

Activities: I enjoy playing the trumpet, guitar, and piano. I also love riding horses with my family and anything related to theatre! 

Future Plans: After I graduate, I plan on either going into the Peace Corps before teaching or start my teaching career somewhere in Minnesota and then after a few years go into the Peace Corps.  

What I like best about my major: I really enjoy the teachers I have had in all my math classes! I also love the community of friends I have made within this major.  

What I like best about being a WSU student: My favorite thing about being a WSU student is just the good experience I have had being on campus. Another nice perk is the beautiful scenery!

Interesting Fact: I can touch my tongue to my nose. I’m also lactose intolerant but LOVE pizza.

Ormsin Sornmoonpin Gardiner Math & Stats Scholarship

Peter Kauphusman

Mathematics Major

Hometown: Winona, MN 

Activities: Reading (especially History and Mathematics), hiking, drawing, playing video games, and building things.

Future Plans: I would like to attend graduate school or, if not, earn a different degree such as Engineering and enter the job market. 

What I like best about my major: Mathematics has been extremely helpful in providing my life with something to focus on and develop myself through.  

What I like best about being a WSU student: The Mathematics & Statistics department has many encouraging and helpful professors.

Interesting Fact: I’m eagerly pursuing my own private collection of old mathematics treatises — hopefully by the age of 80, I can afford a few of the “big:names.  

Ormsin Sornmoonpin Gardiner Math Education Scholarship

Brenden Klish

Mathematics – Secondary Teaching Major

Hometown: Stevens Point, WI 

Activities: Playing basketball, baseball, and football.

Future Plans: Hopefully receive a position in my hometown to teach and coach 

What I like best about my major: I enjoy being a Math Education major because I love the way numbers work with each other. There is always an answer with many ways to get to your final result.  

What I like best about being a WSU student: Meeting new people and learning new material in my field of interest  

Interesting Fact: I’m a huge sports fan. Growing up, I played three sports throughout high school. I love what they teach you and how they help you grow as a person. In my free time, I love to hang out with friends and go fishing.  

Rodney J. Lingenfelter Scholarship

Trinity Seedorf

Mathematics – Secondary Teaching Major

Hometown: Wells, MN 

Activities: I am an active member of the WSU Band. When I am not playing music, I love to watch Netflix with my friends and play some tennis.

Future Plans: I plan to work at a high school in Minnesota and work my way up through the grades and eventually get my master’s degree in Mathematics! 

What I like best about my major: I love the seminars that happen every Wednesday. I really enjoy being able to learn more about what Math can do in the world outside of classes. 

What I like best about being a WSU student: My favorite thing about being a WSU student is feeling at home even when I am hours from it. 

Interesting Fact: I can play with four mallets on a marimba or xylophone. 

Kyler Reps

Mathematics – Secondary Teaching Major

Hometown: Saint Charles, MN  

Activities: Lifting weights, golfing, and helping troubled youth.

Future Plans: I would like to become a math educator. Also, I would like to become a coach of some sort! 

What I like best about my major: The best thing about being a Math Ed major is the bright future that the program can bring you to.  

What I like best about being a WSU student: The best thing about being a WSU student is the easy access to support. 

Interesting Fact: I have already broken seven bones in my life!

Tracy Bergemann Endowed Scholarship for Women in the Quantitative Sciences

Rachel Knox

Hometown: Brooklyn Park, MN 

Activities: I am a part of Chi Alpha here at Winona State as well as Hall Council and Math/Stat Club. 

Future Plans: I want to have a career that I enjoy and lets me learn and grow more in my field of interest. 

What I like best about my major: I love that it has allowed me to be able to meet many great people who have an interest in the same things I do. I also love how much I have learned so far–it is so interesting to learn about what I will be doing in the future and to see how cool it all is. 

What I like best about being a WSU student: I love the environment that the campus has and all the amazing people I have met. I also really love the nature that Winona has to offer. It is so pretty and I love getting outdoors.  

Interesting Fact: Something interesting about myself is that I was in Synchronized Swimming for five years during middle school and high school as well as many other sports and activities, such as dance, theater, and cross country. 

William E. Prigge Scholarship

Tyler Smith

Mathematics – Secondary Teaching Major

Hometown: Winona, MN 

Activities: Reading, gaming, running, cycling, canoeing, rock wall climbing, and playing badminton.

Future Plans: I want to go teach at a high school after graduation, preferably somewhere warmer. After I get some experience, I would like to return to college and get a higher math or education degree.  

What I like best about my major: I like getting to work on the challenging problems and projects posed by the professors with my peers. As an Education major, I enjoy going on field experiences and helping students.  

What I like best about being a WSU student: I like the smaller class sizes and getting to know the professors on a personal level.  

Interesting Fact: I am a huge Lego fan and collector.  

Aside from Foundation scholarships from WSU, the Mathematics & Statistics Department also wanted to recognize students who received MinneAnalytics awards.

MinneAnalytics Scholarships

Khanh Vo

Data Science

Hometown: Tien Giang, Vietnam 

Activities: Studying history and reading.

Future Plans: After graduation, I want to become a data engineer and data analyst to understand the life cycle of a data science project. My long-term goal is becoming a data science consultant.

What I like best about my major: The best thing is I can learn how to look at a problem from different perspectives. Before, my thinking was strongly affected by confirmation bias and prejudice. Now, after studying Data Science, I believe my mind is more open and I stop jumping to conclusions so quickly. I believe that one critical goal of learning is to pursuing the freedom of mind.

What I like best about being a WSU student: The best thing about being a WSU student is the fact that I am surrounded by many nice people. 

Interesting Fact: I was a year champion of a knowledge contest show on TV when I was in Vietnam. I also wrote a lot of poems in Vietnamese. I started trying to write in English, but it’s quite hard. I used to work as a B2B salesman and people evaluated me as an “aggressive salesman“. 

Sheikh Fahad

Computer Science and Data Science Double Major

Hometown: Dhaka, Bangladesh

Activities: Computer Science Club, Cricket Club, International Club, and playing soccer.

Future Plans: My future plans after I graduate are to try to get a job as a Machine Learning Engineer or an Artificial Intelligence Engineer. I would also love to go to graduate school to pursue a master’s degree in Data Science. 

What I like best about my major: The best thing about the Data Science major is definitely the professors and the vast amount of knowledge I gained from them. Every one of the professors are awesome and they all possess immense amount of expertise. I especially love the data cleaning and analysis, data visualization, and the other fun projects we get assigned to do.  

What I like best about being a WSU student: I love the community and how welcoming and understanding WSU is. Every student, faculty, and staff is always reaching out to help you and bring the best out of you.

Interesting Fact: Something interesting about me is that I used to follow soccer since I was 16 years old and I used to do very simple math that I learned in school to predict the goals that my favorite team might score in the next match based on the opponent they were playing. I had no clue that was something related to data science or statistics and I was really surprised that I was already doing something in my field of interest. 

Abby Smith

Data Science Major

Hometown: Hartland, WI 

Activities: Playing softball.

Future Plans: I would like to use my Data Science degree in the sports industry.

What I like best about being a WSU student: The variety of classes I can take.

Interesting Fact: I’m scared of butterflies!

Abbie Schlueter

Statistics Major with a focus in Actuarial Science

Hometown: Waconia, MN

Activities: I like to play and watch both volleyball and basketball. I also like to listen to music and go for walks as well as spend time with family and play board games. 

Future Plans: I am looking forward to my next chapter with attending Winona and finding employment in my career. 

What I like best about my major: I enjoy the process to find a solution, and I like working with numbers as well as the challenge that math problems entail.

What I like best about being a WSU student: I look forward to being independent and having new experiences.

Interesting Fact: I enjoy watching and learning card tricks and then performing them on my family. 

These testimonials from students have been lightly edited for grammar, clarity, and length.