Updated April 28, 2021
Over the next several months, the Winona State University-Rochester campus community will be working together to develop a strategic plan. Students, faculty, staff, and our external partners are encouraged to actively engage with us on every step of this process.
The information that is collected, analyzed, and themed during this process will help WSU-Rochester create goals and a budget. These goals will align with the WSU Strategic Plan, Academic Master Plan (PDF), and other plans found on the President’s planning website.
- Contact Dr. Jeanine Gangeness at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Read about our strategic plan analysis (February 23, 2021)
- Read the latest update about our established strategic goals (April 28, 2021)
- Complete the Open Forum Budget Alignment Discussion Survey (Due by May 10, 2021)
What is a strategic plan?
This plan is a high-level strategy that details where your organization is now and where it wants to go in the future with respect to all units in WSU-Rochester.
Process and Timeline
The strategic planning process will involve five steps. Public forums will be held online at each of the next steps to help facilitate participation and provide transparency. A full schedule of public forums with Zoom links is available at the end of this page.
WSU-Rochester will continue to provide updates to all participants and the community throughout the process. Updates will be emailed to all participants as well as added to this page for easy reference.
- Step 1: Invite Participation (Early January, 2021)
- Internal Constituencies
- External Constituencies
- Step 2: Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats (SWOT) Analysis (Late January, 2021)
- Complete SWOT Analysis Survey by January 29, 2021
- SWOT Public Forum on Wednesday, January 27 at 3 PM
- Key stakeholders
- WSU-Rochester students
- WSU-Rochester faculty
- WSU-Rochester staff
- WSU Departments
- Academic Affairs
- Student Affairs
- Finance and Facilities
- Marketing & Communication/Advancement
- External Stakeholders
- Step 3: Analysis (February)
- Synthesis of internal and external information
- Learn more about our strategic plan analysis (February 23, 2021)
- Step 4: Goals (March)
- Develop SMART Goals
- Public Forum on Thursday, March 18 at 3 PM
- Step 5: Budget Alignment (April)
- Public Forum Survey open from April 28-May 10, 2021
- Present to Cabinet in May
First Step: SWOT Analysis
A SWOT Analysis examines the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats facing our organization. Participants were invited to help us with this analysis by providing feedback on a SWOT analysis survey. Participants were also invited to provide direct input during a virtual public forum held on Wednesday, January 27 via Zoom.
- Characteristics of the organization that give it an advantage over others in the industry.
- Positive, tangible and intangible attributes, internal to an organization.
- Characteristics that place the organization at a disadvantage relative to others.
- Detract the organization from its ability to attain core goals and influence its growth.
- External attractive factors.
- Condition of the environment that benefits the organization in planning.
- External factors, beyond an organization’s control, which could place the organization’s operation at risk.
- Conditions in external environment that jeopardize the organization.
The input and ideas of our strategic planning participants are very important for the future of Winona State University – Rochester. All responses to this survey will be kept completely anonymous.
This survey was divided into four categories (one per page): Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats. Participants answered the questions under each category that resonated with their expertise. Participants could answer as many or as few of the questions as they saw fit.
The deadline to complete this survey was Friday, January 29, 2021.
Stay tuned for information on the next steps of the strategic planning process. Please plan to join us at our upcoming public forums to discuss each step of the process.
Public Forum Schedule
- January 27, 3 PM: SWOT Discussion
- February 19, 10 AM: Analysis Discussion
Read more about what was reported and discussed at this forum
- March 18, 3 PM: Goals Discussion
- April 28-May 10: Budget Alignment Discussion
Learn more about our strategic goals
Complete the Open Forum Budget Alignment Discussion Survey
For more information, please contact Dr. Jeanine Gangeness, Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs – Rochester, at email@example.com.