31327142985_4133e9eb9b_z

Winter break is finally upon us, and for many students, that means it’s time to get out of Winona and go see family. For some, this is a full month while just a short visit for others. Being able to spend holidays with family is one of the benefits of school scheduling, but it’s not perfect. Some students, myself included, are stuck away from our families over the holidays, either for work or some other commitment. So how do we manage?

For some context, I grew up here in Minnesota, but now I’m the only one in my family left here. My sister lives in Montana, parents in Oregon, and the rest of my relatives live in southern Missouri. I only get to see my family at most 3 times a year, which can be a little bit difficult. But then again, it’s not all bad.

For those of you stuck in town for the winter, find something entertaining to keep you occupied. Something OTHER than work or school. Maybe you’ll find some shows to catch up on, or start writing that short story you were always planning on getting to. Whatever it is, it’s important to keep busy and find some things to do while you’re away.

Even though you’re away, however, doesn’t mean you can’t talk to your family. Get into the habit of calling your family every so often, maybe once a week or so. Even small conversations can help make the season feel a less awkward and empty. I, for one, always Skype my family on Christmas Eve if I don’t get the chance to make it to the coast. Not only does it make the holiday feel a little more normal, but it also ensures I won’t get an angry call from my mother the next day.

24702037831_81196d4471_z

There are a few other ways to survive the isolation. For one, find some friends who are in the same boat as you. Instead of heading home for Christmas, hold a makeshift Friendsmas instead. Together you can cook a nice dinner, build a snowman, put up some decorations, and maybe play some Christmas music (or not, because we all get sick of it eventually). You can even go ahead and exchange gifts to make it a bit more official. Just because your real family is miles away doesn’t mean you don’t have some sort of family around you. But, of course, Christmas isn’t the only holiday in the winter season, so it might be fun to plan some kind of Christmas-Hannukah-Kwanzaa fusion day. Whatever it is, have fun with it and surround yourself with friends!

Last, but definitely not least, don’t let the time away get you down. Everyone will likely go through a period of their life when they don’t see their family often, even on the big holidays, so it’s not an entirely unique experience. The best thing one can do is find ways to spend your time to make the break feel worth it. And of course, you can’t get sick of your family if you’re not with them. So just kick back, relax, and enjoy your break alone. You deserve it.