When we think of superheroes, we usually think of our favorite Marvel character like Spiderman, Captain America or Black Widow. Today is #NationalSuperheroDay, and I thought I would take a different approach. Instead of focusing on the comic book superheroes, lets think about our role models; the people in our lives we would describe as our superheroes.

Today, I am celebrating the superhero in my life: my mom.

“My mother never gave me any idea that I couldn’t do whatever I wanted to do or be whomever I wanted to be.” -Rory Gilmore, "Gilmore Girls"

“My mother never gave me any idea that I couldn’t do whatever I wanted to do or be whomever I wanted to be.”
-Rory Gilmore, “Gilmore Girls”

My ultimate inspiration comes from my best friend; the dazzling woman from whom I received my life’s blood, Amanda Kloepping. My mom and I have been told on many accounts that our relationship is much like that of Lorelai and Rory in Gilmore Girls (What’s that? You’ve never seen Gilmore Girls, you say?! Add that to the top of your summer to-do list).

Anyways, as I was saying, my mom is truly an inspiration. She is, without a doubt, the person I have aspired to be like all my life.

Mother of three. Wife. Employee. Youth Leader. Role Model. Jesus Follower. Daughter. Coffee Fanatic. Sister. Professional Thrift Shopper (if there is such a thing). Manager. “Pride and Prejudice” Movie Buff. Mentor. Church Nursery Worker. Best Friend. And a lover of all things creative or made with the color yellow – or both, even better (You should see her kitchen cupboards… yes, you guessed it, they are sunshine yellow).

The list goes on and on. As you can see, the woman is literally Superwoman! But that’s not even all of it. On top of everything I just listed, she is a college student. For many years, my mom has not only been wearing many hats and playing many different roles, but she has been pursuing a degree on top of it all. And I cannot tell you how incredibly proud I am to watch her walk across the stage, in her cap and gown, in just eight days! After many long nights and lunch breaks of studying, writing papers and grants, and working on group projects, all of her hard work and determination is about to pay off, and I would say that it is definitely well deserved. I have actually enjoyed being in school at the same time as my mom because it has given me a completely new perspective. Whenever I am feeling overwhelmed, stressed, or frustrated with school, I think about my mom. I think about how she is going through all of the same thoughts, overwhelming feelings, and emotions as I am, but her list of responsibilities is ten times the length of mine.

Therefore, near or far, together or miles apart, my mom inspires me daily and pushes me to be the best person that I can be. But my mom has not only been a superhero in my life, but also in the lives of many others. Whether it is her family, youth group students, coworkers, or her friends, she is always willing to drop whatever she is doing to lend a helping hand or listening ear. She is so quick to put the needs of others before her own. This is something that I picked up on early in my life. My mom has such a beautiful heart and willingness to serve and love those around her with incredible patience, kindness and respect. She is the friend, mother and mentor that I dream of being some day.

So today, I am celebrating the woman that not only gave me life, taught me everything I know, supports me daily, and is the superhero in my life, but also the woman that is a superhero to so many others. Thanks for being the best mom and the superhero in my life. Be sure to wear your cape made of sparkles today!