Photo by Amy Nelson ’20

As students, we are asked to do a lot. We are expected to do well in classes, maintain relationships with friends and family, participate in extracurricular activities to build our resumes, and sometimes have a job. That small list is hardly scratching the surface of the myriad of things we want and have to do as college students. Unfortunately, many of us find ourselves forgetting one of the most important things: taking care of ourselves. 

Between the physical and mental exhaustion of burnout and the daily struggle with my own mental health, it can be hard to prioritize my health and happiness during the academic year. There is so much pressure on working as hard as we can through the Fall & Spring, that by the time we get a break, it is easy to spend that time counting down to coming back to school. Thankfully, Health & Wellness Services here on campus are here for those days when I cannot do it myself. 

I can always count on H&WS and the abundance of resources they make available to me as a student to help me out when I’m in need. A quick trip to the Integrated Wellness Center makes taking better care of myself and my health easier than ever. I can always rely on them & the services they offer: 

Mental Health Services

During my time as a student, my mental health has slipped more times than I would like to admit. Thankfully, we have amazing licensed nurses and nurse practitioners to help you and I through our troubles. They can help you with depression and anxiety medication management and even refer you to Counseling Services for extra help. 

Photo by Kelsa Katzfey ’21

General Illness Help

Getting sick is a part of life none of us can avoid. At health services, professionals can help WSU students treat many common injuries and illnesses, such as COVID, flu, pink eye, UTIs, rashes, and sore throats. Having a nurse right on campus so you don’t have to drive to a hospital is a huge advantage. Health & Wellness Services even has an Ask-A-Nurse message line in case you have any questions about your health. 

Photo by Kelsa Katzfey ’21

Contraception & STI Management

Whether you need advice on a contraception method, think you might have a sexually transmitted infection, or want to try a new form of birth control, Health Services has the resources for you. 

Being able to talk to a health care provider openly and honestly is extremely important to me as a student. It’s easy to ignore issues because the conversations that sometimes need to happen can be awkward or uncomfortable. At Health Services, I feel comfortable consulting professionals who respect me and listen to my opinions and concerns. 

Photo by Kelsa Katzfey ’21

Sexual Assault Nurse Exam (SANE)

WSU Health & Wellness Services also has a Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner. During a SANE exam, they provide all kinds of treatment, from evidence gathering, to pregnancy prevention and testing, to treatment for STIs. They are happy to help you get connected with the resources that you may need.  

I’m so thankful for Health & Wellness Services here on campus. Being on my own, away from my family can be really daunting when I get sick or have a particularly bad day. It’s comforting to know that I have excellent resources right here on campus that I can access. Don’t hesitate to reach out to anyone in the department if you feel that you need help – there is an amazing team of people that will welcome you with open arms and an eagerness to help you get better.