As students, we are asked to do a lot. We are expected to do well in classes, maintain relationships with friends and family, participate in extracurricular activities to build our resumes, and sometimes have a job. That small list is hardly scratching the surface of the myriad of things we want and have to do as college students. Unfortunately, many of us find ourselves forgetting one of the most important things: taking care of ourselves.

March has ended, and my seasonal depression is kicking my butt. Midterms and the lack of sunshine in my life have me extremely eager for summertime and a wave of relief. Fortunately for me, I know I’m not alone, and I am aware of the resources we have on campus to help me out. Whenever this time of year rolls around, I remember how awesome Health & Wellness Services are on campus.

I’m excited to present to you a few of my favorite parts of H&WS here on campus. When you’re feeling like you need a helping hand, check these services out:

Mental Health Services

During my time as a student, my mental health has slipped more times than I would like to admit. Thankfully, we have amazing licensed nurses and nurse practitioners to help you and I through our troubles. They can help you with depression and anxiety medication management and even refer you to a psychiatrist for extra help.

General Illness Help

Getting sick is a part of life none of us can avoid. At health services, the professionals can help students treat many common illnesses, such as the flu, pink eye, UTIs, rashes, and sore throats. Having a nurse right on campus so you don’t have to drive to a hospital is a huge advantage. Health & Wellness Services has an Ask-A-Nurse line in case you have any questions about your health.

Contraception & STI Management

Whether you need advice on a contraception method, think you might have a sexually transmitted infection, or want to try a new form of birth control, Health Services has the resources for you. I find myself consulting the professionals in this department the most – I feel extremely comfortable seeing them about any matter and their resources have been top notch!

Sexual Assault Nurse Exam (SANE)

WSU Health & Wellness Services also has  a Sexual Assault Nurse. There is no charge for an exam and they provide all kinds of treatment, from evidence gathering, to pregnancy prevention and testing, to treatment for STIs. They are happy to help you receive the resources you are searching for.

Health Services have helped me through some pretty tough times at school. Since I don’t have my mom or dad to help me schedule an appointment or direct me where I need to go, it feels comforting to know that I have excellent resources on campus that I can access. Don’t hesitate to reach out to anyone in the department if you feel like you need help – they will welcome you with open arms and an eagerness to help you get you better.

The following two tabs change content below.

Claire Bowman

Claire is from Crystal Lake, IL and majoring in English Literature & Language with a minor in Creative Writing. Her hobbies include music, poetry, hula hooping and a variety of outdoor activities.

Latest posts by Claire Bowman (see all)