As students, we are pushed to join clubs and, let’s be honest, we’re all probably sick of hearing about them. But I’m begging you—just listen up for a second. This is valuable information! Most majors and minors on campus have a club specifically for that major and if you’re not all ready a part of that club, make a point to attend a meeting this semester. In addition to resume building, you’ll find many valuable experiences buried like little hidden treasures when you are involved with your major’s club.

As a Journalism major, I joined the Society for Collegiate Journalists (SCJ) almost two years ago when it was just getting started on campus. Now I am both a regular member and the Projects chair, which makes me sound like a glorified crafts-maker, but actually entails quite a bit of work. I’m also an administrator of our Facebook page.

For me, the most rewarding part about my journalism club is how well I’ve come to know some of my classmates. Many of the other people in my club are also in my classes or have taken the classes I’m taking so if I ever need help on an assignment, I can lean on them. It’s also great to spend time with people who share my passion for journalism even though we only meet for an hour once a week.

Through SCJ I’ve met two people who’ve become my best friends, Kayle and Kayla. Since the three of us have been so involved in organizing club activities, it was almost impossible for us not to become friends. Not only are they helpful when I have questions about class, but we also have so much fun together. If we hadn’t been in SCJ, I don’t know if the three of us would be as close as we are.

three women pose together

Kayla, Kayle and I attended the SCJ Spring Initiation in the Winona Daily Newsroom last year.

It sounds cliché, but as a student, you should be involved in as many campus activities as you can. Besides the fact that most campus events are either a great opportunity to expand your knowledge or are just plain fun, campus club activities are also a good opportunity to hang out with your fellow club members outside of a meeting or classroom setting. SCJ did a Walking Waffle fundraiser earlier this semester so I got to hang out with the club and make waffles for people. When your majors club does an event, it’s a fun opportunity to tell other people about your major and share your passions with others.

two college girls make waffles

Kayla and I getting all domestic making waffles for our fundraiser this fall.

Being in your major club comes with benefits outside of campus too. Many times, clubs have opportunities for members to create personal ties with other professionals in the business. For example, last year SCJ went to the Minnesota Newspaper Convention. We sat in on panel talks, one of which included the editor of the Winona Post. I went up to her afterward, introduced myself and she gave me her card. At the end of last semester, I contacted her and have been writing for them ever since. This is an opportunity I probably wouldn’t have gotten if I hadn’t gone to this convention with my club.

Aside from all the benefits of simply being in your major’s club, it is also a prime opportunity to have a leadership role. I am the Projects Chair for SCJ, which sounds like some sort of obscure title for someone who does a lot of crafts, but it is so much more than making posters for events. With the election this November, I decided I wanted to do something to educate voters. Through discussions with our club advisor, Professor John Vivian, I decided to host a Sheriff’s Forum in which I would invite both Sheriff candidates in and grill them on how they plan to cooperate with the press if they are elected sheriff. I contacted the candidates, came up with questions, reserved a space, did the PR and moderated the event. Although doing all of that on my own was kind of stressful, the end result was really rewarding.

As you can see, there are so many benefits–both socially and professionally–to being involved in your major’s club, so stop making excuses for not joining!