Ever since I’ve come to college, I have been an avid gym goer. One of my favorite ways to exercise is in a group setting with a teacher, so workout classes are great. I have been to just about all of the fitness classes one could go to at the IWC, and I have feedback for every one of them. If you like workout classes like me that push you to actually hit the gym for a full hour and not quit after 15 minutes on the elliptical, you might want to check out some workout classes. Here have been my experiences with the classes offered at WSU so far:

Yoga: I actually really enjoy doing yoga and so when I saw the IWC offered a class, I was pretty excited. This class was especially exciting because the lights go off and there is no room for judging eyes from other people, which made me feel better. The instructor for these classes was awesome and I felt like I got just enough of a challenge.

Yoga Tone: If you like yoga classes and want a little bit more of a challenge where you use more of your muscles, you will really enjoy this class. Yoga Tone is the calming practice of yoga with weights incorporated and holding challenging poses for longer. The only downside I felt in this class was that although there was a bit of a challenge, I didn’t feel “the burn” as much as I thought I would.

Zumba: I took this class with one of my good friends and both being dancers, we thought this was right up our ally. It was so much fun! I loved the high energy and fun music of the class and the choreography was so fun to learn. I did sweat in this class and it was pretty high intensity since it was all cardio and I loved that. These high energy dance classes with a lot of cardio really get me motivated.

Abs of Steel: I tried this class this semester for the first time right after slacking off a little bit following winter break and it was really hard for me. The instructor was great and kept the whole group moving and the music was fun, but the cardio was tough for someone who hadn’t worked out in a few weeks. It definitely did give me that sense of accomplishment after the class, though. I definitely did sweat and I wouldn’t have made it through without my water breaks.

Butt ‘N’ Gut: This class I went into not expecting it to be easy, but not expecting to lose my legs for a few days! This class was one of the first classes I took at WSU and it was great but it was very hard for me. It was a whole lot of squats with some abs thrown in at the end but it was overall a great workout. My friends came with me the first time and they dwindled throughout the next few weeks because it really does make you sore.

Insanity: Although I have not specifically taken this fitness class at WSU, they do offer it. It’s one of the hardest workout in my opinion. In this class, get ready to really sweat because it will definitely push you. It’s one of those workouts that make you feel so great after it’s over because it has high intensity and a lot of cardio.

It’s so hard to find the bad in these workout classes because I love them all, and if you’re a workout fanatic like me and are open to trying new things I definitely recommend attending a class. They are my favorite way to keep coming back to the gym. A full schedule of classes offered is available each semester, and there is also a WSU fitness Facebook page you can become a member of!