Morals and values are words brought up a lot in today’s society. There are decisions made every day in our lives individually and in the world around us that balance morality and self-interest. In other words, what is the most beneficial choice may not always be the most moral choice and vice versa.

Values are personal beliefs that come from within each person and relates to each of our own lives. Morals are similar to values but they are a system of beliefs, good or bad, that are taught.

What comes to your mind when I say the word values? Maybe you think of a valuable item or heirloom. Maybe it’s things you own that are worth a lot, maybe it’s not material at all, it is in regards to what you believe in. This is what psychologist Mick Lynch discusses in this week’s video, Let Your (Moral) Compass Be Your Guide.

Mick begins by telling the viewer how he is lost in the woods, and that he is relieved that he has his compass to help him find his way. He talks about how when we feel lost in life, we can reference our moral compass which represents our values.

After listening to Mick’s speech, I reflected on my own morality and what I value. When I arrived at Winona State, I was unsure about my environment because I didn’t have any of my usual familiarities around me. I had come from a suburb of Chicago where I had known the same people for most of my life.

The transition to WSU was hard for me because I didn’t know anybody and I also didn’t have my parents nearby since I live 4 hours away. This was when I relied on my values to help me figure out what choices to make. Relying on my values at this point in my life is a big reason I handled my transition to college as well as I did.

Next week, we will talk about  letting go and finding peace in a stressful, sometimes overwhelming environment. In the meantime, you can learn more about resiliency and the University’s theme.

Try out some techniques for yourself! If you aren’t sure where to begin, you could get a little extra guidance from a professional counselor at WSU. To schedule a free, confidential  counseling appointment, call 507-457-5330 or stop by the Integrated Wellness Complex 222.

–Emily Werfel