good food, good friends, good life

It’s true!

With all the homework and studying, do you find it hard to spend time with your friends? Have you gotten bored with the cafeteria food? Well then do I have some good news for you!

You can have friends and home-cooked food at the same time by starting up a weekly dinner night.

For me and my friends, it started when we had a Chinese feast of orange chicken, fried rice and egg rolls—all the works–on Valentine’s Day. We sat in the lounge on our floor talking and eating and enjoying each other’s company.

After that night I decided that I wanted to give back to my friends that are always feeding me. So I made garlic chicken, tilapia, garlic mashed red potatoes and steamed corn. I also picked up a red velvet ice cream cake from DQ. An hour of intense cooking later and we were all around the table again talking and having a good time.

These two instances made us all decide to cook every week. For the past three weeks, my friends and I have been taking turns to host Sunday night dinners and it has been so rewarding.

I mean, let’s be honest here, we all get tired of the caf food once in a while and who wants to leave their dorm on a Sunday when they’ve been snuggled up on their bed all day?

This past week, we made pasta, garlic bread and some delicious, homemade cake. Fantastic!

What I’m trying to get across is that spending a little extra money for a nice home-cooked meal is extremely beneficial. It provides food for your body and social interaction for your well-being. We’ve all been told about the affects of overwork and stress on your body, and in fact, the main reason for floor activities and campus wide events is to counteract those negative effects. . Your body can’t work 24/7–it needs a break. And being anti-social doesn’t help either.

Studying and working hard for classes and life in general is important, but having some friend time and relaxing a little is nice too. In fact, it’s needed. You can’t push yourself all the time and think that you won’t feel the effects to everything else in your life.

That’s why my friends and I started our get-togethers. We weren’t seeing each other as often as we liked. We found a day that worked for everyone and went from there. We forget about our worries and sit at a table and laugh.

And really, what more could you want on a Sunday night?