22375472632_4a485c0911_z

It’s great to include exercise in your daily routine due to many health reasons that we all should know about. Let’s be honest though, doing the same thing over and over can get pretty boring. I used to run the track every single Monday at 7:30am sharp. That became a habit and it was much easier to stick with that than come up with something else to do. However, the motivation to continue exercising will drop off. Here are some machine suggestions/exercise tips to increase your motivation while working out at the IWC on campus.

25080962015_a610b969b3_z

1. Versa climber

This machine is located on the second floor in front of the windows and next to the elliptical machines. This machine is something I truly hate, yet love at the same time. This machine mimics rock climbing and there are foot pedals and bars that you hold on to. You lift one knee and move the bar up like you’re reaching for the next hand hold on a rock wall. It’s difficult because it works your entire body. All you really need is 15 minutes to get a fantastic workout on this machine.

2. Add a theme to your workouts

I absolutely love superhero stuff with a passion. So when I write workouts for myself, I come up with a theme. For example, I have a “CatWoman Cardio Kickboxing Workout” that I really love doing. Sometimes just adding a theme and even renaming certain exercises to fit the theme is mildly entertaining. I have a Doctor Who workout as well that I love using every once in a while. This may seem rather silly, but it’s oddly motivating and I have used this to get out of my rut.

3. Netflix with your workout

Since our favorite TV shows are back, it’s hard to be able to keep up with every single new episode. Cardio machines make it rather easy to bring your iPad or laptop, so why not watch a show on Netflix while exercising? It’s basically killing two birds with one stone: catching up on your show and getting a workout out in. If you don’t have a Netflix account, not a problem. I have found that the CW has an excellent app to watch your shows on. So I’m able to watch The FlashArrow and Legends of Tomorrow while getting my heart rate up (I told you, I really love superhero stuff). Also, many of the workout machines in the IWC have TVs attached to them so you can watch those while you get your sweat on!

4. Stair step machine

Finally, there’s the Stair Step Machine. Going up stairs is 1,000 times more difficult than going down stairs, so that’s why this machine provides such a good workout. It’s located on the second floor by the assisted pulley machine and the other upper body weight lifting machines. There’s two pads you put your feet on. When the machine starts, you lift one leg up as if you’re climbing a stair while your other leg is at the bottom. You switch legs as it mimics the motion of going up stairs. This machine is very practical and hopefully makes it easier to climb stairs. It definitely doesn’t take much to start sweating. This machine is useful because it improves upon something we all have to do every single day.

Mixing up your routine will help you to achieve your goals in a fun and interesting way. It will also increase motivation so you will actually want to go to the gym. Find what works for you. In the meantime, I’m writing my “Weeping Angel Cardio Workout” that I can’t wait to try.