As a college student, not to mention a senior soon to be graduating, “going with the flow” might not always seem like an option. The stress of school, work, friends, etc. can take a toll on us and that’s why this video by Mick Lynch is all about finding inner peace and letting go.

The word peace can be defined as being in a state of calm, tranquility and restfulness in both the mind and the body. Everyone finds different things to be peaceful and everyone has personal definitions of peace in their personal lives.

Let go 

Resiliency is about being able to adapt and handle situations with ease and strength. Becoming emotionally resilient is something us college students with busy lives can practice when feeling overwhelmed or stressed out. That is why finding peace is so important for emotional well-being.

Mick Lynch says that sometimes when we are struggling in life, the one thing we search for is peace. When we are at peace we have an uplifted mood with low levels of stress. He says that we get caught up in so many racing thoughts that it can be hard to slow down and find peace.

Practice finding peace and letting go

With practice, we can train our brains to stop those racing thoughts by becoming aware of our thoughts. I have found that through meditation, journaling, yoga and self-reflection, I personally can stop my thoughts and become more aware of them.

WSU offers free yoga classes for students and faculty in the IWC room 127 fitness studio for all levels. Join a class anytime they are offered and bring a friend for a relaxing experience.

By simply taking at least 5-10 minutes of your day for some quiet time to yourself, it can make a big difference in stress levels and those racing thoughts to quiet down. When I need time by myself to destress and relax, I turn my phone off to help me from mindless scrolling.

Mick Lynch gives us the visual of being aware of our thoughts, capturing them, placing them on a leaf and letting them float away down a stream. After anxious or negative thoughts float away, it leaves you with a clearer, more peaceful mind.

When I first thought about this, I didn’t think this would work for me because I have too much on my mind to just shut my mind off and be at peace, but I was wrong. By visualizing yourself letting go and by allowing yourself some quiet time in your day, it makes all the difference.

By picturing what Mick Lynch described in my mind and focusing on not all the things I had to get done that day or that week, and just being present, I felt better. I practiced this in my own room right before going to bed and it removed a lot of unnecessary stress from my life.

Of course, I still get stressed or anxious about things like balancing work and school, having enough time to finish my homework, studying for a big test, etc. but doing simple things to lessen stress and racing thoughts can make a big difference.

For me, that was just allowing more room for positive thoughts and I didn’t feel so stressed that I had so many things on my to-do list in my mind. Don’t just take my word for it though, try it for yourself and see how it makes an impact on your mind and your stress.

For more techniques and free, confidential help from a professional counselor at WSU call 507-457-5330 or visit their website to make an appointment and for more information.