Right now, the slightest cough puts everyone on high alert.  

Could it be… COVID-19? Or is it just a common cold? I struggled with these questions 

This summer, Id been trying my best to stay safe for myself and my loved ones by wearing a mask, washing my hands often, and practicing physical distancing. I thought I was being safe.  

All summer long, I felt perfectly healthy and hung out with some of my closest friendssometimes completely forgetting about coronavirus and the damage it has caused.  

As I was going about my summer, I tried to have fun while being safe, but that didn’t quite work out for me.  

This August, Id acquired a very faint cough and I had small headaches throughout the course of a week. I didn’t think anything of it because I frequently have headaches. And with summer coming to an end, I usually get a cold anyway, so I carried on with my days not knowing what the consequences would be.  

A couple days later, I received a phone call telling me that someone I was in contact with had COVID-19. It was in that moment when I thought to myself, “Well… maybe this isn’t just a cold.”  

Unfortunately, about a week later, my mom started to get sick, and so did my sister and my brother. My mom was the first to get tested, and my siblings followed suit 

I then got tested because I was pretty sure Id given it to my family. When I got the results back, I was less than shocked to hear I was positive for coronavirus.  

The amount of guilt I felt was overwhelming, but my family assured me that it was no one’s fault—it was a virus.  

My experience isn’t uncommon, but it is a lesson. If youre feeling any symptoms at all, I encourage you to get tested and tell your loved ones what youre feeling, so you can protect them.  

Your common cold might not be a common cold.

The following two tabs change content below.

Guest Blogger

Guest writers are sometimes featured on the WSU Blogs. If you would like to contribute, please submit your post here: https://blogs.winona.edu/submit-a-post/