Professor Pop-Up: Criminal Justice

If you like understanding how the law intersects with real life, you could foster that interest into a career as a law enforcement or corrections officer or any of the many personnel in the Criminal Justice system.  After being a prosecuting attorney for 11 years, I...

Professor Pop-Up: Sociology

If you like to people-watch and understand individuals’ stories and roles in society, you could foster those interests into a career as a sociologist.  I went to college thinking I’d become a high school math teacher, but an introductory sociology course instantly...

Home is Without Borders

My name is Kendra Nusbaum, and I am a junior from St. Cloud, Minnesota. I study nursing and Spanish with a minor in Child Advocacy Studies (CAST). This past spring, I studied abroad in Valparaíso, Chile with Academic Programs International (API) to finish my Spanish...

Saying Goodbye to an Old Friend

Most who will read this, likely haven’t paid much attention as they walked by the Hackberry tree outside the R.A. DuFresne Performing Arts Center on WSU’s campus. It has stood in its place and served passers-by (both human and nature’s critters alike) as a silent...

50 Years of Excellence in Nursing

In 1968, the first-ever class of nursing students graduated from Winona State University. From that first class of 16 nursing graduates, the WSU College of Nursing has grown to an annual graduating class of over 150 pre-licensure nursing graduates; 150 associate...

Half Way There and Up in the Air

As our trip has quickly come to a close, I am a jumble of emotions. I cannot wait to get home and see my family and friends, but at the same time I already miss London. Just so you all know, we’re only about halfway through our flight on the way back to the United...

No Fear Shakespeare?

Comedies, histories, tragedies you name it- Shakespeare has written a play about it. Although, you might not even be able to tell which type of genre you are reading because of the ever so confusing Kings English he wrote in. Of course they have “No Fear Shakespeare”...

The Problem with Uneven Sidewalks

As Americans, we’re all pretty used to seeing people in electric wheelchairs buzzing around the supermarket getting groceries or zipping down the sidewalk. We often wonder what happened and stare a bit, but most of us try to help them out if they’re struggling with...

What did that say?!

Graffiti? No, that’s for gangs. Street art? You mean the billboards on the highway, right? This is just an example of what you would hear Americans say if you told them you went on a walking tour to view street art and graffiti. However, London's east side is covered...

London Pink Eye

It was a morning just like any other in our tightly packed hostel room. The sun was shining through our thick pane windows, various ringing of alarm clocks traveled swiftly intertwined with the chilly breeze of the London morning air. I opened my eyes to see what...

Unlimited Amount of Stairs

In London, not only can you find black taxis, 500-year-old buildings, and loads of pubs- you can also find an enormous amount of stairs. It’s hard to find lifts (elevators) anywhere, and if you do find one, they have a sign that says to keep them open for the...

Sardines About Brixton!

Never once in my life was I think I’d ever find myself pressed so tightly into a mass of people that my group and I actually had to hold on to hold onto each other’s backpack straps so we didn’t separate and completely lose one another. We were pressing through a...

Making One’s Own Fiberglass Armor!

Since setting my mind on making armor, the focus of my project here in London, I’ve wanted to design my own suit/costume around my observations of English armor. Perhaps I would design my suit for a knight character. I wasn’t sure I’d actually use the design, so my...

​Hostel Living 101

Before traveling across the world to stay in London for three weeks, I have never experienced staying in hostel before. I assumed I did not have to believe it would be like the 2005 horror film Hostel, but besides that I just figured it would be like a dorm. As it was...

Always Being Watched in London

So while I was exploring the crazy city of London, I noticed these particular signs everywhere I go. The signs were on the streets, in almost every building and business, and even on the tube. I had no idea what these meant, so being my curious self I had to look it...

Cheers Mates

There was 11 suitcases lying on the ground in our tiny hostel room as all of us girls rushed to pack. Some of my fellow classmates had already been packed for a couple days while others, like me, waited until the last minute. It was almost like an art, how we crammed...

Six Wives? Oh My!

I’m not here to judge, but marrying six different times, with two of them resulting in executions, is a little intense. King Henry VIII was not afraid to break the rules to get what he wanted. His six wives were Catherine of Argon, Anne Boleyn, Jane Seymour, Anne of...

A Walk through History

We’re cold. We’re wet. We’re jet-lagged. And we weren’t prepared for a 4-hour walk in the rain. Warned by our mothers, most of us knew better and we brought umbrellas and rain jackets along with us. London is notorious for their “unpredictable” weather. It was one of...

Art or Vandalism

You may walk down the street in any given neighborhood on the East Side of London and notice what looks to be paint on the wall. Depending on your mind set of this given day, you may choose to see it in two different ways: Art or Vandalism. We personally used to think...

Quarantine. Everywhere.

Tube. Stairs. Repeat. For a broke college student in London, having your own car or form of transportation is not in the cards so the tube is your daily routine. The tube is the subway and the fastest way to get around London in a short amount of time, but to say it...

Bloody Americans

It may have been the blonde hair, fair skin, straight teeth, flip flops or my selfie stick, but somehow I have “I’m an American” painted across my forehead. I have learned in the short amount of time spent in London thus far that Americans are very easily spotted...

The London Sass

London is not for everyone; it’s crowded, dirty, loud, and busy. That combination can put anyone on edge, even someone that’s one billion and two percent in love with London (like me). With everyone on edge, saying it gets a little sassy around the town and in the...

Where Are the Bathrooms?!

“MIND THE GAP.” The harsh, British, male accent commands us as we get on the Underground. I look down as I step up onto the train, and the phrase is repeated on the ground in bright yellow road paint as well. There’s a small gap in between the concrete platform and...

Alack, I Die!

Imagine that you are your 9th grade self. Your third class of the morning has ended and you just desperately want lunch, a nap, and maybe an excuse to skip out early from gym class. As you wait until the last second before walking into your English literature class,...

Close Encounter With a Night Club

“We’ll be heading back now, is anyone going to stay back to check the place out?” our professor asked politely, one foot already turning to descend into the subway station and head back to our hostel. Despite the seemingly fatigued disposition of the group, a number...

Sex and the City

One of the first tours we went on in London was “Sex and the City”. No, it was not the television show. All of us students thought it was going to be all about how London is full of sexually transmitted diseases and how everyone is obsessed with public displays of...

To Litter, or Not to Litter

If you have ever spent a single day with me, you would know how much I dislike litter. If I see it around town or on a walk at all, I pick it up. To put it into context, a person that litters is the Wicked Witch of the West to my Dorothy, we don’t get along and I want...

Seeing History Through the Oculus

I walked into St. Paul’s Cathedral, one of the oldest churches in London, and was immediately overwhelmed. Baroque architecture (the style used to build St. Paul’s) might as well be next to the word extravagance in the dictionary. But I’m going to skip past describing...

To Let What? To(il)et?

It all started after the Clink78 hostel common area closed and we ended the night with London Bridge, by Fergie. Such a brilliant song to play while visiting London right? The lights turned on and the conversation started. I got the chance to talk with people from all...

A Whole New World: St. Croix

The second you get off the plane, you know you are no longer in the states any more. For one you walk straight off the plane and are immediately outside to get your baggage in the open, yet humid, air. Many of the people that would stop us and ask us what we are doing...

My Time in St. Croix

This past May I was given the opportunity to travel to the beautiful Island of Saint Croix in the Virgin Islands. Saint Croix is apart of the Virgin Islands, which is a territory of the United States. The people I met and everything I learned is an experience that I...

A Fiery Adventure in St. Croix

This summer, I got the chance to participate on a travel study to the island of St. Croix in the Virgin Islands. I was emerged in the culture for 18 days, participating in learning with the Woman’s Coalition of St. Croix. Through my work and my personal experiences on...

St.Croix: More Than Paradise

The U.S Virgin Islands are known as America’s Paradise in the Caribbean. The sun is always shining, the water is a brilliant blue and the concept of “island time” is alive and well. Travel sites advertise the many attributes of these beautiful islands in hopes to hook...

Mass Communication: Then and Now

One of the things that made the Civil Rights Movement operate well was the media and it’s still effective for today’s movements. They had newspapers, photographers, and the radio, all of which were good at motivating people. The newspapers provided full stories and...

And So Our March Begins

Today was our first day on the bus for the “Tracking the Civil Rights Movement” travel study. Our goal is to spend two weeks in the South (Tennessee, Alabama and Mississippi) and enhance our knowledge about the movement by visiting places like Jackson, Mississippi and...

Going South

We got lost. As Sami, Sophie and I hurried past museums, ships and theaters, searching for any sign of a theater called The Scoop and imploring locals for directions, we realized just how extensive London’s Southbank really is. Before that night, our group visited...

Time for Tea

When I came to London, I expected everyone to drink tea. It’s certainly a stereotype, complete with raised pinkies and gossiping over crumpets, but I was surprised at how little tea percolated into everyday English culture. Regardless, one quiet afternoon, five of us...

London has an Ego

As a psychology major among English majors, I was the one who stood out whenever we spent extended amounts of time in bookstores.  However, I finally got my niche in the trip when I learned Freud once had a house in London! Although Freud isn’t someone whose ideas...

Serenity Without Concrete

Finally, I made it to the neighborhood of London I had been most anxious to see. With my focus on parks and gardens of London, it made sense to explore Hampstead Heath, which is a 700-acre park of long grass, fields, trees, and ponds. It was breathtaking to see such a...

Fitness Fad – An American Trend

Recently in America, weight-loss advertisements are posted everywhere and there are always newer and "better" diets to try. Whether we see them in person, on television, or online, the suggestion to be thinner surrounds our daily lives. Here is just one example. This...

A Landmark of London

Once upon a time the United Kingdom was ruled by King Henry the VIII and lived united under the Catholic Church. King Henry planned to divorce his beloved Catherine to reform the church into the protestant religion. Today, Catholicism is a distant past for this...

Meet the Historians

After talking to (or rather listening to) so many tour guides about the “True Nature of the English Experience,” I was eager to talk to some unpaid locals. Not to say the tour guides haven’t been amazing. We had one recently that both whistled and read out of...

The East End Street Art Tour

The second to last day of our wonderful London trip was spent in the city’s most colorful area: the East End. Our group of 9 was split into 3 groups so everyone’s experience was a little different, but we all walked away with a greater appreciation and understanding...

Here’s A Tip

In order to pay for fish and chips, British flag swag and excessive amounts of English breakfast tea in London, I took a temporary food service job earlier this summer. As I trained, all of the veteran servers gave me plenty of advice. I was told to smile and...

Do I Smell like Africa?

It seems that no matter where you travel or how prepared you think you are, you will forget something. Dr. Kohn decided that his item to forget was deodorant. This naturally led to so many comments and remarks about how he smelled that he went out and purchased some...

An Average Day in London

After being in England for over a week, I have a few life lessons to get you through an average day in London. 1. Whatever you do, don’t lose your oyster card! What’s an oyster card? It’s a magical card that allows people to transport from one tube station to the...

Hostel Takeover

On July 23rd, eight college students from Winona State and one professor checked into the Clink 78 Hostel in London. After a day of traveling by foot, plane, tube and car, we were pretty exhausted and just about ready to stay anywhere. At first, I had no idea what a...

The Rock of Ages

Stonehenge! As in, the actual Stonehenge! Not pictures, not videos, not a background shot in a TV show, the real deal! Wow. Our visit to Stonehenge was one of the most thought-provoking day trips we’ve taken for a number of reasons, but mostly that I just can’t figure...

Leave Family, Find Family

I haven’t had time alone in London yet. This was the first time I managed the tube (subway) myself. For the last month or so, known people have constantly surrounded me while I’ve been traveling. Company is good, but for one day I wanted my own adventure. I took a...

All the Single Ladies

Despite all of the rattling, screeching, and beeping that composes the soundscape of London’s subway, all of its passengers are relatively silent. Most Londoners generally are, I’ve noticed, and really only speak to people they know. Perhaps it’s for safety reasons....

Americans Abroad

Elvis is playing on the jukebox. The smell of French fries (or "chips" if you’re posh) is unavoidably mingling with the distinct musk of cigarette smoke. We are ushered into the basement of The Diner on an average Saturday night. I order pancakes, coca-cola and...

Groundling Fun

Normally, the idea of standing for 3+ hours, especially when I’m not being paid for it, doesn’t exactly appeal to me. However being a "groundling" at the Globe was indescribable and well worth the sore feet. A groundling is the term used for those who stand at the...

Merging the Past and the Present

So you know the expression, “like a kid in a candy store?” That’s how I felt in The Museum of London. The place was beyond awesome and showed the history of Britain from the very beginning up to the new baby George, Kate and William’s baby born just two days before we...

Tried for Treason at the Tower

The Tower of London is known for its history of bloodshed and mystery; the Tower was used to house traitors to the crown and most were beheaded for their crimes. The most famous of beheadings was that of Queen Anne Boleyn, second wife to Henry VIII. Our tour of Tower...

Stuck in Neverland

Being stuck in a place where you stay young forever doesn’t seem like too bad of an idea. London holds a statue commemorating Peter Pan, befitting the city that is historical, modern, old, and fluid at the same time. An afternoon of wandering Hyde Park led us...

Not in Kansas Anymore

Ok, so I was never in Kansas on this trip. However, I have been in some very different places before coming to London. Our travel study trip has consisted of so much more, for me, than simply London. Before our travel study began, I had some of my own Euro adventures....

How to be a Londoner

One of the tricks of traveling is learning how to adapt to your destination. Even though London appears to be very similar to the American culture, there are some major differences separating the two countries. If you misunderstand some of these concepts, you could...

You Have to Pay for What?!

Briefly before departing for London, I’d heard tell of the legendary “Pay Toilet” and today I got the chance to give one a go (lucky me!) It was fairly cheap at 30 pence and had a plethora of change machines in the immediate vicinity just in case you had to “go” and...

YOLO: You Only London “Once”

I didn’t want to say anything. Our professor told the group that the musical “Once,” based on a movie I’d seen years before, was simply a love story between two people that met at an Irish pub. As we strolled into the theater, and as we were all swept away by the...

Day Eleven

Thursday, June whatever (hey – we’re “on holiday”!), 2012 By Logan and Jeff Greetings Chickens, After a much needed morning off and ability to sleep in for an extra five minutes the crew separated throughout London going to destinations of their choice. One group...

Day Ten

Today was the Amazing Race around London. We broke up into 5 teams of 5 people and received clues at every stop to continue on towards the finish. Susan and Brian said that this wasn’t a race, but some teams became very competitive and ended up running to each...

Day Nine

By Krista, Stephanie, Rebecca and Amber Today we were up and ready to leave at 8am to head out to East London to see the Olympic grounds. Our tour guide, Colin, was not able to get us too close to any of the buildings for security purposes but we still got some great...

Day Eight

By Krista, Stephanie, Rebecca and Amber We began this day by returning to the Tower of London after seeing it locked up the night before. We were able to tour around the historic buildings and see Beefeaters and soldiers with the big furry black hats. Also located...

Day Seven

DAY 7 By Kate Today was our last morning in Manchester. We left around 8am for the two hour coach bus ride to Warwick Castle. There were different activities to do at the castle. We could walk the wall of the castle which contained 530 stairs. What a workout!! It...

Day Six

by Rachel Kleinertz, Brittini Hoosier, and Katie Lieder Unfortunately, due to England’s rainy weather and severe flooding, we weren’t able to go to the Lake District as planned. Instead we headed to Wales and Chester! We took the coach bus to Wales which was a 2 hour...

Day Five

by Stephanie, Rebecca, & Krista Today the nursing group went to a private hospital called Spire. While there, the general hospital manager (CEO) gave us a talk about how the private health care system in England is funded and run in relation to the public...

Day Four

By Susan and Brian Zeller Wowie Zowie!   This group has been going non-stop.  They looked a wee bit tired this morning, but quickly perked when they went out the door into the typical Manchester summer day – gray skies, rain and hard winds. The cardiac rehab student...

Post-Adventure

Here I sit in my room back in Minnesota finally able to find time to reflect and share our adventure. It never fails to surprise me how quickly time can pass. It was just two short weeks ago when 11 students were sitting at the bus station in Buenas Aires reminiscing...

New Found Motivation

Before leaving for Argentina school was starting to lose its, how to put this… oomph. Every semester started to feel the same. Classes meshed into the previous classes, teachers started losing their faces, and content began to seem unimportant. I even contemplated...

Who can we be?

One of my most memorable moments of the trip was not something I did in Argentina, but is something that was said. During the bicentennial celebration at the birth home of Domingo Faustino Sarmiento the president of the foundation for Sarmiento’s celebration spoke on...

The City Has Everything

I AM IN LOVE WITH BUENOS AIRES! The city, the people, the energy, the history, the architecture, everything! We only spent one day in the city but we were given the opportunity to walk everywhere. Buenos Aires is a city that walks. I don’t think I would have felt the...

Up, Up and Away

Lugging all of our luggage throughout the airports of Minneapolis, we were able to smoothly get through customs with only dear Matthew’s luxurious lotion having to be left behind. As we got to out gate now we started our first test-the waiting game. Taking pictures...

I am crazy… crazy for this trip

Saturday’s article in the Winona Daily News was absolutely wonderful! Jerome Christenson had it completely right that Winona has all but forgotten the amazing legacy of the first wave of Winona teachers while Argentina has never stopped forgetting or celebrating. Just...

Life Changing Experience

Nothing is more heart warming than to see a room full of people so happy just because your presence.  We may not have been in the classrooms as much as we wanted to or planned to, but to see their appreciation and enthusiasm when we were there could light up a room....

Me enamoré con San Juan

This is the last night before I leave my new home for my old one. I love San Juan, Argentina. I love the excitement. I love the city. I love the exchange rate. I love everything, but most of all I love the people. I do not feel like a foreigner here in San Juan, in...

Host Family Day and the Andes

Honestly, there are no words to explain my experience in Argentina so far. But by writing this blog, it looks like I am going to have to try  .  We are in San Juan Argentia and I have never been to a place where all of the people go above and beyond to welcome you and...

Intercambio

While in the school for our second-to-last day on Thursday, I was invited to the teachers’ lounge at the Mary O. Graham school (kindergarten to sixth grade).  All of the teachers were very nice and energetic, and they shared some mate with me (like tea, but it has...

Dreaming about the Future

Hello all! We are absolutely loving Argentina and all of the wonderful people we have met! We have been VERY busy the last week and it has made it really hard to find time to blog about our experiences, but we want to share it all with you, so please stay tuned! We...

Buenos Aires – day 1

Sorry I am so late to make my first post while in Argentina, but this is the first day I could access Wi-Fi in the dorms we are staying in while in San Juan, Argentina.  But first, I want to talk about my experience while in Buenos Aires, the first city we went to...

Winona and San Juan

On the second day that we were in San Juan, we went to a ceremony where all of the aspects of the society of San Juan were in attendance: the governer of the state as well as other high ranking politicans (imagine Mark Dayton coming to an event that celebrates...

Sarmiento, FDR, and Obama?

When I told people in Argentina that I knew nothing about Argentina or Sarmiento (the first president of Argentina) before I came, their faces fell.  But when I told them what I have learned and how Sarmiento is simular, if not greater than our greatest progressive...

Welcomed with open arms

We have been welcomed with open arms here in San Juan, by everyone from the governor of the province to the minister of education and the US embassy. They have kept us busy from early in the morning until very late at night, so it has been difficult to find time to...

Aventuras de Buenos Aires

This is a blog post that I wrote last night (Sunday) while on the bus, but was unable to post because of the slow wifi connection speed. Enjoy! Hola! I love Argentina. I have only been here 12 hours, and am already not looking forward to leaving. This morning we...

Nuestro primer dia en San Juan

Today has been a super long day. We arrived in San Juan this morning around 11:30am local time (9:10 MN time). At this point, we had not showered since we left Minnesota and we felt disgusting. However, we all put on our matching t-shirts and were hauled off to the...

Wait, wait, don’t tell me . . .

We are leaving tomorrow and I have actually packed pre-washed clothes and at least my passport. No, but really I am just amazingly grateful that I have been given this opportunity to join the legacy that these courageous females started way back in the late 1800′s....

Argentina Awaits…

Saturday is getting closer and closer, and I can hardly contain how I’m feeling. Time has flown by, the semester is over, and we will be departing soon. Where has the time gone? What I’m most excited for is the teaching. We will be teaching primary school students who...

Anticipating Argentina

It still has not hit me that we are going to Argentina on Saturday. I am sure it will not hit me until I am standing in the airport in Buenos Aires staring out the window into a new country.  I am very excited but still a little nervous. The only thing I am nervous...

In less than 120 hours now…

. . . I will be embarking on my first trip outside of the U.S. There really is not just one word I can use to describe my thoughts or feelings. Everything is sort of jumbled together. Excitement, nervousness, anxiousness. I’m restless. It’s only Monday evening and it...

It’s starting to sink in…

Four days left. Cuatro días. It feels so surreal. I can hardly believe it. I have always thought of this trip as being in the distant future.  “Not until summer,” I would tell myself. “I still have time.” But summer is here! The past few nights have been almost...